Non-Electric Flex-A-Lite fan? Anyone?

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
I've seen plenty of electric fan setups on Supras, but never a setup using one of these. While I was working at my uncle's speed shop a few years, I saw plenty of guys run these fans in their Camaros, Novas, Chevelles, Mustangs, etc. Basically, anybody didn't want to pay for an electric setup, and could put up with the roaring noise these generate, ran them.

Is there not one available? Does everyone just hate the noise? Is there some other reason nobody uses these?
(pic for reference)

35ddn4n.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I think the main reason is that they break and when they break they cause damage.

Stock fan blade works plenty fine and if it breaks its will shatter and dent more than rip holes.

Those things have always looked dangerious to me and i hate them even on my nova.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Fine on a car that only has a power band up to 3500 RPM... Brother had one for a while on one of his GM trucks, took it off soon after as it was loud as hell and didn't change the way the engine reved at all.

Oh, forgot to mention he cut the shit out of his hand installing it...

Reiketsukan

Jack of All Trades
Apr 13, 2009
United States
I can't dispute their sharpness having cut my arms and hands a bit reaching around them, but I've never heard of one breaking. I'm sure the stocker works well enough if your clutch is working properly. I believe mine is on its way out though, so I started searching for a non-electric replacement. Given that my initial 'education' was on old-school stuff at a hotrod shop, a flex-a-lite fan (and replacing the clutch with the proper spacer) was my first thought. Bad idea?

Last edited: