no vacuum at tb!

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
Thank you. Wow! never even thought about that. So once you open the throttle there is no vacuum. what is the point of these? the one goes to the thermostat housing to the bsvp thing. What is that thing anyways? i need to buy a new one. I broke one of the plastic connectors off.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No, once you open the throttle there is vacuum. Ported vacuum refers to vacuum sources located upstream of the throttle plate. The two you have are for the BVSV and the EGR. Since both need to be off at idle their vacuum sources are located on the atmospheric side of the throttle plate when it's closed. When the throttle plate opens slightly the ports are uncovered and exposed to manifold vacuum.

The BVSV sends fuel vapor that was stored in the charcoal cannister (it came from the fuel tank) to the intake to be burned. It's an emissions thing. If that were allowed to happen when the engine was cold or at idle the mixture would be upset. The BVSV keeps it from happening with cold coolant and the ported vacuum keep it from happening when at idle with hot coolant.

The EGR also needs to be off at idle or idle quality will be effected. It also needs to be off when the engine is cold or above about 4000 rpm. That's done by ported vacuum when hot and by the ECU controlling a solenoid valve during the other two situations.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Wait, didn't I already cover all of that?

Yeah, I did:
CRE said:

Seriously though, 87SupraTurbo19, don't feel too bad I almost posted the same thing a very, very long time ago... Luckily I spared myself the embarrassment and caught myself just in time. :biglaugh: