no thermostat?

speedfreak

SCruzer
May 16, 2006
santa cruz, ca.
hi what up all you supra techs, my 92t seems like its always running too hot it has never completely overheated to a breaking point but ive used my radiator overflow tank way to much for my liking. im looking for ways to keep her cool and heard its fine to run it without the thermostat at all and let max water flow through all the time, is this true? im down for a cheap fix of course but im also open to any ideas maybe an aftermarket radiator and water pump? i just wanna hear if you all have the same problem or if you have any solutions. also i have tested my thermostat and it works fine but i just think 180f is a little hot especially for a turbo car. keep it cool yall, any input appreciated thanks.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Turbo or n/a has no bearing on the temp. the coolant needs to be. The fact that this a fuel injected, computer controlled motor, that looks for a specific "operating temperature," does.

You have some serious cooling system issues, and need to address them before you do even more damage to the motor than has been done already. Quit driving it, and fix it.

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
What he said, it's a bad idea to remove it, there is a reason you having to put water in the over flow often. a leak in the cooling system will cause high temps. also it's possible that your burning the water. also have your radiator cap tested a bad one will cause boil over.

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
do a compression test? maybe flow test your radiator..check misc hoses, ensure fan clutch is working properly? and i wouldnt run with out a thermostat.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Listen to these guys, they speak the truth. To add: 180 deg is not hot for the 7M...the temp range cuel spoke of is 176 to 210 deg F. That is "normal" for this engine and the ECU adjusts fuel (warm-up enrichment) below that temp and pulls timing above it. A stat is necessary to get the coolant to that range as quickly as possible...a 180 deg stat is the lowest I would use...for 90% of the cars/climates out there the stock 190 deg stat is better.

I cut the jiggle valve off any stat I install in a 7M for a bit of constant flow. Helps keep the system free of air.

I would be looking for other causes if your car is running hot.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I was just about to ask the same thing (re: jiggle valve)... Sounds like a great tip! Will do that on the next thermostat we install :)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Simple, but effective ;)
Helps keep the thermostat from sticking due to pressure from behind it too.