no start problem

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
so heres my problems, i bought the car with 60k on the odometer, car had oil leaks out the ass, plus the headgasket was blown, but the car ran! i decided to swap that motor out for my fresh rebuilt 7mgte out of my cressida that never had ran before. now that the new motor is in the car, it cranks but doesnt start, i re-used the same wiring harness that was in the car, that actually started the previous motor. Ive searched everywhere and followed the troubleshooting tips out of the actual toyota service manual, but still no spark. i have plenty of fuel because i can smell it when i get out the driver seat.

new motor that is now in the supra has never been started, but I have 12v at the ignition coil, continuity tests checks out fine, at the igniter, power transistor, and the coil. i have plenty of grounds. the cps connector wiring was frayed but i fixed and erased code 12 out of the system. any other ideas???

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
i got plenty of fuel, timing is perfect, and i tried spraying starter fluid but nothing. i just ordered new spark plugs today, i ohmed out the wires and they are within spec.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If the timing is correct and you spray starting fluid and it doesn't start, you don't have spark.

Tried the old crank and giggle trick? Have someone crank while you giggle the CPS plug wires, common issue. I know you said you did a rewire but it's worth a try.

austin

Apr 4, 2012
alberta
IBoughtASupra;1835410 said:
If the timing is correct and you spray starting fluid and it doesn't start, you don't have spark.

Tried the old crank and giggle trick? Have someone crank while you giggle the CPS plug wires, common issue. I know you said you did a rewire but it's worth a try.

I can safely say I have never tried to giggle my car anywhere before.

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
Wiggled the cps and ignition coil wires just to find out the wires at the ignition coil connector were broken. So i fixed those. Now i get 12v when cranking and no code 14. Still have no spark. But i do have code 51 which i think is the ac because itbisnt hooked up yet?

Ecu is getting power when testimg for voltage across batt and e1. Any other suggestions

MINA

Jan 19, 2010
sacramento
when u re wired the cps plug did u match up the colors

if so thats wrong

two wires get flipped to get spark at the cps plug

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
only one now is 51, no other codes, checked the cps wires, i wired them all right, so now im totally clueless unless these new spark plugs monday magically fix this problem

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
nope put the new plugs in today nothing happened, although the old plugs were all rusty and corroded, now the igniter is making some kind of noise so, im going to ground the igniter and see what happens next.

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
yea i added another 5 grounds to the motor. its well grounded i should say lol. i got power at the ecu, so i know the ecu cant possibly be bad can it. when u crank it over the rpm needle moves a bit.

7mCressida

Oct 9, 2011
Brandywine MD
so 3 months later, i never had time since then, works been killin me. i fixed the problem, went through 2 faulty cps, car now runs like a champ!