No power to Starter wire.... Assistance please

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
ok all, I need some assistance and Im sure you gurus will know what I should do.

While I was re-installing my 7MGTE back into my car I was at the last few things to connect. So when I was at the starter connection I connected the cable and tightened the 10 or 12mm bolt. I then connected the Small starter wire from the harness to its connector. Now when I go and attempt to connect the other end of the wire to the battery it automatically begun to try and start the car as though there was someone inside the car turning the key. Problem was the connector on the side of the battery and the small starter wire connector was touching so I loosened the small nut, moved the cable over on the side of the starter and tighten it back down..... Problem solved.... or I thought so...

Now from that point on when I connect the engine harness starter wire to the starter as you would normally do and turn the ignition you get nothing.... nada.... total silence. Its like the starter wire isn't even connected. This was never a Issue until this happened. Ive tried everything that I can think of.... I know for a fact that its not the Engine harness connector because this is a brand new never used 89 7MGTE harness. Ive replaced all the relays in the fuse box and Open circuit relay. So saying this can someone please lead me in a direction on this.

This is also causing me not to have any type of Cold start as its tied into the starter power wire.

Thanks for your Imput and Assistance.

Robert

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy31;2006236 said:
So when I was at the starter connection I connected the cable and tightened the 10 or 12mm bolt. I then connected the Small starter wire from the harness to its connector.

First thing, the battery ground should be disconnected when you apply battery power, even though the small wire is switched. Check to see that you have B+ on the black wire with the blue tracer. Unless yours is different color. It should say B+. If it doesn't, post a picture of how you have the starter wired.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy31;2006253 said:
replaced the fusible link, No change....

A fuse is a "short" by design. It is circuit protection that stops current flow. It doesn't provide a ground path for current flow.

supraguy31;2006258 said:
So your saying make sure I have power going to the starter wire on the engine harness when I turn the Ignition.

No, check for power without the switch in the crank position. There is a reason for this.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Nick M;2006290 said:
No, check for power without the switch in the crank position. There is a reason for this.

So with the Ignition switch on I have no Power going to the STA wire on the engine harness that is connected to the starter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy31;2006296 said:
So with the Ignition switch on I have no Power going to the STA wire on the engine harness that is connected to the starter.

If you have no power on the small wire until the key is in the crank position, and the starter is hooked up right, then the internal relay to the starter is stuck on. There are no other choices.