No oil pressure anymore.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
Background: Did a complete rebuild, dropped it in and pulled the EFI fuse, got really nice oil pressure so i started the car. It ran fine but then started knocking. Pulled the motor back out and i had put #6 rod cap on backwards :S

Got everything back together, the bearing didnt have excessive wear on it and was still within spec.
Dropped the motor back in and got everything ready, pulled the EFI fuse and started cranking in increments, crank for 7-8sec and let it sit for 10-15secs. Did this for a long time and i got NO oil pressure?!?! So i started thinking maybe my oil pressure sending unit just got unplugged, checked it and it was plugged in. So i pulled my oil filter off and poured what was in it out and put it back on, tried cranking it again for a little bit. Pulled the oil filter back off and it only had a tad bit of oil in it....

I have no clue what this could be, I didnt touch ANYTHING except for the oil pan and oil pump. Rechecked everything myself and then had a buddy of mine recheck everything aswell. Everything was torqued fine, before i put the oil pump back in i made sure it spun fine.

I know this couldnt allow it to have no oil pressure but when i shimmed the oil pump i forgot to shim the relief valve aswell on the oil filter mount thing. Would this affect anything?

If anyone can help me out here i would appreciate it more than anything... Im walking 3 1/2 hours to work every morning and back after i get off.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
proflugnut;1623918 said:
Did you get the pickup tube or the crossover tube tight?

I remember getting the one end really tight but the other end with the bronze flip over washer thing
i never touched that so it has no reason to be loose.

colin39;1623940 said:
is the wire on the sensor?

Yes and still shows no oil pressure, nonetheless after the oil pump picks up the oil, the oil filter is the first thing it goes through so when i took off the oil filter i should have seen oil gushing out of that when i started cranking.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
mecevans;1623971 said:
Broken pressure relief spring?

Maybe? Idk how anything would of gotten broken && a spring of all things.
Pressure relief spring as in the one on the filter housing?

I\'m not sure if this would rule things the culprit of any such but while on the engine stand this
last time i did have the engine turned upside down for a while, 4-5days?

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
mecevans;1623980 said:
One in the oil pump. Did you install the timing belt and oil pump shaft correctly?

Yes, as aforementioned when the motor knocked the first time, i pulled it out, took off tranny and flywheel. Put it on the engine stand and turned it over. i didnt take off anything except that oil pan and pump.

Timing belt was not touched and stayed tight the whole time. i didnt even have to time the CPS or anything.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
This is before you start the motor right? Cranking speed may not be enough to prime the pump and entire system. Try using a drill or something similar to turn the pump to prime the system.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I dont thing thats obvious. I have seen many fresh motors struggle to get the initial oil pressure. Ever see how they do it on an american V8? With a drill jammed down the dist hole to turn the pump.

I6Boost

Apr 14, 2010
My Supra
mecevans;1623980 said:
One in the oil pump. Did you install the timing belt and oil pump shaft correctly?

Yes, as aforementioned when the motor knocked the first time, i pulled it out, took off tranny and flywheel. Put it on the engine stand and turned it over. i didnt take off anything except that oil pan and pump.

Timing belt was not touched and stayed tight the whole time. i didnt even have to time the CPS or anything.

EDIT: Sorry, my phone is dumb lol idk why it posted it again after 3-4hours...

Anyways im pulling the motor back out, ugh. I\'ll post what was wrong, i feel its something stupid.

Last edited: