No NE of G Signal, Code 12

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
I'm stumped, my car decided to quit working on me. I was on my way to work one night, about a block away from my house, she died on me. She was tough to start again, took about a minute to get running again. felt underpowered on the way after that, about 15 miles on the way, she just quit, tach went dead, fell to zero and i just coasted to a stop. Took a look at the engine after words and the turbo exhaust was glowing red. So i towed her home, checked codes, only getting a code 12, swapped cps with a good one from my other car, changed grounds on the battery and body. Still have code 12. changed the ecu. Code 12 is still there. checked for continuity from the ecu connector to the cps connector, wiggled the harness also to see if there was a short and continuity is good. So what should i do next?

thanks for the help

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Pokey2301;2039734 said:
So i towed her home, checked codes, only getting a code 12, swapped cps with a good one from my other car, changed grounds on the battery and body. Still have code 12. changed the ecu. Code 12 is still there.

It won't run with 12. 12 means the ECU isn't getting the pick up signal, so there is no need to change the ECU.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
You need to trace the CPS wires and check for continuity. Very common failure is near the CPS where engine heat makes the wire insulation brittle and causes the wire inside to break.

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
copy Nick, supraguy helped me out and explained to me what could be the problem. the 7.5 amp fuse is blown under the drivers side dash, i'm putting the car back together and hopefully she'll run again.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
3p141592654;2039745 said:
You need to trace the CPS wires and check for continuity. Very common failure is near the CPS where engine heat makes the wire insulation brittle and causes the wire inside to break.

Since he has help, the mentor should show him the wiggle test. Which is valid for many automotive tests.