No heat in my 91 Turbo, please help me figure out why...

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Today I had some condensation on my windshield so I decided to use my defrost for the first time since getting my car running after it had sat for 7 years. After a 20 mile drive it never heated up. I checked the temp of both heater hoses and both were nice and hot so I know it isnt a flow problem. I am not so familiar with the heating system on this car yet so I've narrowed it down to what I think may be possibilites.

-Heater Control Valve (my best guess but don't have the slightest idea how it works)
-Stopped up heater core
-HVAC unit issue
-Blendoor problem

Where would you guys recommend starting? How can I test to check these things. I have a lot of automotive knowledge but have rarely worked on heater systems, and lets just say the MKIII setup is not like one I've ever messed with before.

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Thank you Steve! There lies my problem... I deleted the VSV's, so there is no vacuum running to the control valve. I will run a vacuum line to it and problem solved.

Gt40881j

Mar 30, 2011
misery
my guess is the vsv isnt working, easy fix, go over and use a zip tie to hold it up, both hoses will be hot regardless of flow due to simple convection. if that fixes your heat problem, replace vsv, but if it sat for 7 years, your heater core may be clogged