No electrical power anywere.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Just put the motor in. 1987 toyota supra, turbo. Turbo harness and ECU.

I have no electrical power what-so-ever anywere.

-1 year old battery, charged. Hooked up my DMM to it and getting 12.86~ V.
-Fusable link is good
-Battery cables are good

Im hungover, clueless, and just want the car going. Trying to get it started tonight.

What else would cause me to have no electrical power anywere, no dash lights, no beeps, no horn, radio, nothing.

Thanks in advance!

William

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
sounds like your not getting a good connection to the battery. check the grounds. use the dmm and see if you have voltage on the ground side(if you do there not grounded) see if you have voltage on the cables them self.

do your door lights work or the overhead lights?

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
Like when you turn the key to the "on" position does anything light up? This happened to me when I was driving one day. Could be the wire going from your positive terminal to the fuse box. It popped off on me and left me confused in the middle of the road lol. Good luck.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
DBN;1379657 said:
Like when you turn the key to the "on" position does anything light up? This happened to me when I was driving one day. Could be the wire going from your positive terminal to the fuse box. It popped off on me and left me confused in the middle of the road lol. Good luck.

lol. good times.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Use your meter and start chasing wires. Sure does sound like the main FL though. But if that checks out, I would start at the battery and go from there...

First things first, grab a beer and nurse that hangover;)

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Got a few minutes to look at her this morning. Its very weird.

Swapped battery's with a known working one. Still nothing at all. I took out the positive and negative battery cable and checked them for resistance. Both came out perfect. I took out my fusable link and checked that for resistance and its perfect as well.

I then re-installed them and started to check for were im losing voltage. I put the neg lead of my DVOM on the negative of the battery and started tapping for voltage.

The first place i checked was the (B+) terminal on the starter and i have 0 volts. I dont have a single volt at any connector in the entire car. All fuses are visably good. I tested the main relay and it shows good resistance, but i have no way to check if the switch contacts are closing because i cant hook it up to a 12 V source.

Were do i go from here? What could possible cause this problem. As far as i can tell the volts arnt leaving the battery. Theres gotta be a logical explaination for this oneee

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
get a razor blade and barely go threw the insulation on the wires and check to see if you have 12v.

theres a lil blue wire that goes tot he batt that when it doesnt get a good connection you wont get any power.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
There should be a wire leading from your positive battery connector to underneath the main fuse box. It's not that big. That thing came off on me and gave me the same thing except I was driving lol. Even if it didn't come off you should go through the insulation to check the wire.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
check your 100A fuse. this is most likely the problem. chances are, you accidentally touched a big power wire to a ground during the swap. same thing happened to me. look closely at it and take off the small clear cover over the fuse. sometimes it gets in the ways and looks like the fuse is good. get back to me after doing so.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
In my professional opinion, do NOT go through any insulation to check for voltage. It ruins good wire, or you have to patch it.

Personally I cant do much with out it being in front of me, but just start at the source and take baby steps away from it.

EDIT:

Not sure if this is the exact schematic for your vehichle, but if you have NO power anywhere, theres not a lot it can be.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=D&P=3

Or this one if your car is originally GTE

Your certain you checked Fuseible Link 2.0L, notice the location in the link below.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=30

Last edited:

EOS

Obsessed with photography
Feb 27, 2008
St Louis, MO
If you're going to "go through" the wire's insulation to check for voltage, don't trim off some of the insulation with a knife. Instead, use a small straight pin or safety pin to pierce the insulation on the outside of the wire. This gets you down to the metal conductor in the wire, allowing you to test it, but doesn't ruin the insulation; you just end up with a small pinhole in the insulation, rather than a cut. Afterward, you can use a very small piece of electrical tape to cover the pinhole.

I've been using this method for many years and have never had a problem with it. In fact, that's why I have about a half-dozen safety clips pinned around the leads to my DMM.

Hope this helps...
Joe

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
DBN is right.

Check the wire that goes from the + to the fuse block. It is a pretty thick 8 gauge wire (roughly). I seen it that the terminal corrodes and you are left with no positive to the fuse block or even worse. It is shorting out.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
when there's no power in the car,i check the fuseable link first.you say there's no power at the sarter?the positive wire bolt's directly to the starter.maybe the battery ground has a bad connection at the block