No.4 cambelt cover

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
was just wondering if any one has ran their cars without this cover? and if so please post pics, its the cover behind the cam gears

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Seen pics of it before.

Only question is why. It's there for dirt and dust. Same with the outer cover. Also won't get any limbs stuck in it.

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
not the outer cover that says 7mgte on it, thats already off I'm talking bout the metal piece that bolts to the head behind the cam gears that the plastic timing cover bolts to a lot of guys run open cam gears and always wondered if they are running open cam gears why not take off that metal plate behind it too just curious as to how it would look is all not too concerned about dust and what not as the car isn't a daily driver just a project car

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes I got that. And that's what I was talking about. It was put in there for a reason to keep dust dirt and debre out of there.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I ran without it on for a bit and I must say it makes a surprising difference in valvetrain noise. I was really worried about my valves being way out after putting my head back together but honestly it was just noisy due to that cover missing. I put it back on and all was happy. That and you can get stuff caught up in there if you're leaning over with the engine running plus leaves the belt open to spilling things on it such as oil and coolant. What's the advantage to having it off?

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
radiod;1809532 said:
I ran without it on for a bit and I must say it makes a surprising difference in valvetrain noise. I was really worried about my valves being way out after putting my head back together but honestly it was just noisy due to that cover missing. I put it back on and all was happy. That and you can get stuff caught up in there if you're leaning over with the engine running plus leaves the belt open to spilling things on it such as oil and coolant. What's the advantage to having it off?

there isn't any from what i see except cosmetic,id rather see the front of the head oppose to that weird shaped stamped steel piece, maybe help the front of the head cool off by 1-2 degrees lmao, but honestly iv always just wondered why a lot of guy take the plastic cover off to run open gears and not the no.4 cam belt cover. but its probably me just being me, always wanting to take shit off that looks like its not needed and later on wondering why shits fucked up lmao

nofx230

Jan 24, 2012
Colorado
not interested in weight reduction lmao,although i did go that route with my tacoma trd x-cab 4x4 baja looking thing that tips the scales at 3510 172320_196391540388871_100000540780175_646683_1022230_o.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Everyone leaves the plastic off because it's either broken or there always working on it. In order to take the cover off you have to remove the t stat housing.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I'm sure hvyman knew what you're talking about. But I would leave it on to prevent anything from falling into the gears

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I would guess that it would protect the cam seals as well a bit. The belt does let off a bunch of dust as it turns/wears, and I can't see that being a good thing to have direct access to the cam seals.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I wouldn't take it off also for the fact its for ease of timing, just line up the notches, done. I am currently not running the front plastic one but I am very inclined to get a clear one. Left it off because I work on it a lot but mainly wanted to be able to see condition of the belt. Spot of bad luck the fan shroud broke and fell into the fan annihilating it and it sent a piece between the belt and the gears causing my timing to go out of wack. Yes it's a bitch you gotta take the t-stat housing off, but a small price to pay for security.