no. 3 cylinder head cover

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
LoveMySupra;1731132 said:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=EM&P=32

Is there a special gasket that goes between the cylinder head, the no. 3 cylinder head cover, or the big bolts that secure the no. 3 cylinder head cover?

Mine has nothing but 3 bare metal surfaces.

Is this an oil leak and mess waiting to happen? Should I put some fipg in there?

Sounds like your missing the center cover. The center cover is sheet metal covered with rubber to seal the plug valleys. It will also keep oil out if the rubber is intact.
It is held in place by three large plugs in the center. This cover also provides support for the spark plug boots ( with stock plug boots).

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
there seemed to be gasket like stuff around one of the 4 holes but I wasn't sure if it was something built onto the cover or if it was crusty oil. I want to use the cover to support the stock spark plug boots. would it be best to put a thin or medium layer of fipg around the bolt holes on both sides of the cover or could a bare cover, no gasket material, keep oil out?

So, I have the no. 3 cylinder head cover with zero rubber or gasket maker. Will this leak? Secondly, if I do put drain plug gaskets in there without the cover, will that affect the stock sprak plug boot performance; ie moving around and having a loose connection.

As always, thanks very much for the help guys!!

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Worthwhile to spend the $40-50 to replace, but probably not a huge deal to leave as is. Just makes your engine more messy.

That's a bigger deal to some than others.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk