NISMO Nissan GT-R - No Recirc Valve?!?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I had a friend ask me why the NISMO Tokachi 24-hour Nissan GT-R removed the two recirec valves, and blocked off the holes. I wasn't able to answer him because I have no idea why. They say it's one less thing to fail, But doesn’t that make the turbos more prone to failure?. Don't you want your car to be as reliable as possible in a 24 hour race? I've had the idea of turbos and BOV's being synonymous beat into my head for so long that I can't imagine running without some form of pressure relief. What is your guys's take on this. How do I explain to my friend why they are not running them.

Here is a link to an example:
http://jstyle2.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/nismo-tokchi-24h-racing-gt-r/

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
It's kind of an automatic..maybe? Buick GN's didn't have BOV's and they were all autos. Unless this has the new 6-speed manual.

BTW this belongs in "Other Cars"

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
WhtMa71;1250408 said:
BTW this belongs in "Other Cars"

thanks for the unhelpful input. This place has spawned so many sub forums that i never seem to put it in the right place. I dont own this car so as far as im concerned its off topic.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Race cars have parts replaced ALL THE TIME. If properly tuned, they probably don't have a failure in the turbocharger from those being removed.
Look at the hell WRC cars go through. Look up "anti-lag" sometime.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Dirgle;1250453 said:
thanks for the unhelpful input. This place has spawned so many sub forums that i never seem to put it in the right place. I dont own this car so as far as im concerned its off topic.

No problems. Just trying to keep you from possibly getting an infraction.

I guess the turbos really only have to last about 24 hours. Not including practice time qualifying. Im sure they'll get replaced before the next race.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
This is probably true but seems counter intuitive to what the 24 le mans style races are about. The most reliable car finishes the race. Not having a BOV may mean less parts but it seems to shift the stress to the turbocharger. Between those two components it would seem that the turbo would most likely be the one to fail(due to the numerous components and extreme conditions). So I would want shift as much stress away from that as possible.

Also if the turbo or the BOV was to fail, I would rather it be the BOV. As it seems to be easier to replace and a failure would be less detrimental to the engine.