Newgen's 2jzgte Swap

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
And for the last update for now.

Cars turned up to 28psi right now. Were having just a little break up on the top end of the rpm band. I'm going to try and gap the plugs down further. I'm also purchasing a set of 1zz coils tomorrow to help rememedy the issue. If we can get it fixed i'll be going up to 30psi and calling it a day. No nitrous yet will working on hoook up the kit.

I'm also looking at turbos currently :evil:

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
More changes to come soon.

Ordered a new turbo from Sam Priem. Thanks Sam! Its a Borg Warner S366-66 .91 exhaust housing. Should be great with my spool valve and a 50-100 shot of nitrous.
I also ordered 1zz coils from Sam as well to replace my old coils that don't work well.
I'm changing my fan setup. I'm either going with taurus fans or a stock mechanical. I've heard both will supply the volume i'll need just more availability.
I need to wire my trans cooler fan up
lastly i'm planning on making an under car damn to help with airflow.

Should have pics soon!

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
My turbo just recently went out. It was developing pretty bad shaft play. Also found this this when I pulled the turbine housing off. It was a pretty big piece of shit and lasted 3 years so I can whine to much.

I ended up going with a borg warner s366-66. .

I'm also in the process of upgrading my coil packs to 1zz coils. I was having issues with the spark blowing out over 25psi. These have a built in igniter. I'm able to eliminate two problematic issues with supras. The coils and the igniter. The plugs are currently gapped at .20.

Here's another update. I'm not extremely happy with my lower intercooler pipe is currently. Planning on reworking it this winter.

I also put a short video together. The tune needs some more work but its a start.
[video=youtube;EEbVV9QlTsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEbVV9QlTsw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Well finally got around to a drag strip. This was litterly the last event of the year in Iowa. I'm pretty impressed with the car. This was on what I think was 27psi. I'm having some discrepancy between my AEM and boost gauge. Giving the benefit of the doubt to my AEM on being correct. Car also has the timing pulled back a long ways for e85. My tuner and I didn't have an opportunity to readjust the timing or fuel map after my turbo swap. I adjusted the fuel map myself and made the timing safe until we can get on a dyno. Pretty happy with the way the car ran. Will be back with more boost and timing next year along with the spray.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Updates.

Alright update time: I have a lot to talk about.

First:
The car is moving more towards a drag car/street racing car. I decided it was time for a wheel upgrade. To do this I wanted to run a 15X10.5 wheel without it sticking out goofy like most mk iii's do with that size wheel.

I got pretty fortunate Ryan Janz sold me a set of his strut spacers off his personal car. These will move the strut in an inch and a half. Allows for a 7.5 inch back spacing wheel.

This allowed me to buy race star wheels. They are a 15X10.5 with a 7.25 back spacing. They fit PERFECT. Currently i'm running a 26X10.5 mickey thompson et street. They are used. I wanted to see if I wanted a 26 or a 28. This was a great way to start. Still need to buy lug nuts for them.

Second:
It was time to tackle this:

My handy work when I was 18 years old. I did all the rewire myself. This was before jz swaps got real popular and there really wasn't much information on them. I'm pretty happy the harness worked as long as it did. It was time for a refresh though.

While I was in rewiring everything I decided it was time for an ignition updated. I got these coils from Sam at a killer deal! My brother has his own cnc machine. Were going to be making a plate for it later on this winter. This was just for mach up.

This is the harness most of the way done. I took 22 inches out of it. The track control was removed, iac, air pump plug, o2 sensor plug, factory igniter plug and the heater control valve plug. The harness was way to long the way it was originally. I'm also tucking the harness behind the firewall. I wired in the 1zz coil packs as well. I still need to wire in my fan relay wiring to my aem, the nitrous wiring to the aem, and my boost valves back to the aem.

All the wiring removed

Third:
New front end. Needs painted still. This was just test fitting to make sure the fog lights were going to fit.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Forth:
Engine bay revamp.

Started tearing my engine bay down. Its dirty from a small oil leak on the valve cover. Going to be cleaning everything up.

Fuse box is being tucked into the innerfender. I will have the fender liner in on this side to prevent water from getting into the fuse box.

Started degreasing the passenger side of the engine bay. I still need to remove the heater control valve. I ordered a upper coolant hard pipe to replace my blue pipe. Going to wait to remove the valve when I put that on. By no means done just getting started.

Fifth:
I received a sponsor from nitrous express. I'm planning on running their proton setup. Going to start at a 50 shot. Might bump it to a 100 later on.
20420-10.jpg

Misc:
Bought this on a cyber monday deal. Decided it was time to install a drive shaft loop.

I also got a factory shift knob to work on my quick silver shifter. Really gives it that sleeper appeal :)

What to expect coming soon!
8 pt cage
adjustable toe in/out bars
skinny front runners
Nx Nitrous kit

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
akito;1980260 said:
Very nice progress, which short shifter are you running?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is an auto. He is running a B&M quicksilver. Used to have a ssv3 shifter before he went auto tho. I also had one of those ssv3 shifter before i went auto, and i would recommend it.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
emericaskater285;1980443 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is an auto. He is running a B&M quicksilver. Used to have a ssv3 shifter before he went auto tho. I also had one of those ssv3 shifter before i went auto, and i would recommend it.
Yup! I liked my SSV3 when I had it.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Just a couple more updates:

More pictures of the rear wheel setup.

I stripped my chassis harness down, ran my fan plugs threw the harness, also combined the alternator harness as well and the relays that have been wired in.

The fuse box has been moved under the original battery tray area.
1st bracket made

2nd bracket made. Also started wrapping the harness towards the firewall. Need to finish pulling the wires threw and put the fender back on.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Sorry guys i've fallen behind on this build thread.

Heres the finished product. Plans to head to the track shortly crack off a ten for the year.. Car will be disassembled this winter. I'm starting to have another goal in mind for the car more on that this winter ;). Most of this setup will end up in my wifes foxbody. We have a build thread for it on facebook. www.facebook.com/2jzfoxbody if you want to check it out. Not a ton of updates yet.