Newgen's 2jzgte Swap

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I went ahead and updated the first page. I will get pictures with the new Volk's on the car tomorrow after I detail her and get the hood on. Nick if you would like to join me just call.

Last edited:

Turbo Skegget

Jul 27, 2005
Norrtelje
Regarding your fuelsystem. Have you gotten the Aeromotive partnr. 16302 or 16306 ? or are you planning on driving without? Just wondering cause I am building a system with the same pump and I am worried about wear on the pump without these pricey parts...

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I hadn't done to much reading up on that yet. I'm still a few months out from installing my fuel pump I will definitely read up and see what I find.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Ok winter update time.

Alot of this stuff is old I dug up these old pictures.

The car ran very healthy with the single turbo on it. It was running around 13psi off just the waste gate. The car was partially tuned on a Mine's Ecu that I purchased from AGM thanks again! The ecu was designed to run more psi through the stock twins instead of having a single. The car always ran pretty rich. It wasn't long after I was out on a drive with one of my good friends when the car started rod knocking :(. I later found out I had a bad blown head gasket and my oil pump seized up. I blame myself for both I should of replaced them when I had the engine out. Anyways I tore everything down and took the engine to a good machine shop in town.

Specs of rebuilt engine:
2jzgte
Stock pistons
Stock Rods
OEM Piston rings
ACL Race bearings
ARP Rod Bolts
ARP Head Studs.

I also bought a set of polyurethane engine mounts to put back in the car.

Pics of reassembly once back from the machine shop:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I also picked up a set of 1st gen 16" VOLK GTP's for the car :). I was getting tired of the completely stock appearance.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's the car up on our lift trying to track down a few misc leaks.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Another picture of the car right after I got the windows tinted.
p1709514_1.jpg

I went ahead and upgraded to a Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator and a Set of flexalites shortly after.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Since then I made it to the dyno once and to the track once. The car still needed tuned pretty bad. It ended up making 402whp. On the track it ran a 12.46@109mph. I put down a 1.7 60ft and a 7.91 1/8 mile time. I think my 1/4 would of been alot better and a much high mph but I ended up missing 4th gear and coasting through. Here's the video. I have the dyno sheet if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTWsHr7Y7tI

Here's pictures of my wheels after I painted them bronze.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1709514_2.jpg

I went with a 215/45/16 firehawk on the front and a 245/45/16 Nitto 555r. The car still doesn't hook up on the street. I have full intentions on buying either slicks or MT Street's.

One last video before I get into more resent stuff :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0S7qHLaCJU

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Also I just recently picked up a 2jzgte Drewgo Turbo Manifold along with a Tial 46MM Waste gate. Thanks Tres (LexusFTW)!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

167385_1756164951295_1454107050_31873128_1572589_n.jpg

Also my parents bought me this for christmas!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

It's just the knock off of the Greddy. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate on this but I'm going to see how well it does. If I don't like the results it'll come back off.

Here's the best picture I have of the engine right now:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I was really torn on what to do with the engine bay. I hate doing body work so this was my compromise. I primed the spots that were down to bare metal then I removed the battery tray since it wasn't needed anymore.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's a picture right after paint.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Partially assembled. I decided to rotate my fuse box so I could fit my greddy style intake manifold.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engines finally back in the car!
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Here's how the car sits now:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Waiting on the inter cooler being modified before I can put the front bumper back on.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Here's the way the engine bay sits i'm still waiting on some parts. This turbo is just temperary I hope. I'm in a formal dispute with whitemike. I've pretty much all hope on getting my items. He owes me a gt4294 also an intercooler pipe. This one will due for now.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Fuel systems done. I tucked the A1000 fuel pump up inside the bumper to look stealth :)

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Parts i'm still waiting on:
Greddy throttle cable
Greddy tps sensor
Garrett Gt4294

Parts I need to buy
Piping to make a 4 inch exhaust
Oil feed flange.
2 3" 90 degree elbow
4 3 inch vband clamps

Things left to finish
Have intercooler and pipes welded
put front bumper back on
Fab up exhaust
fix fuel leak.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

Parts i'm still waiting on:
Greddy throttle cable
Greddy tps sensor
Garrett Gt4294

Parts I need to buy
Piping to make a 4 inch exhaust
Oil feed flange.
2 3" 90 degree elbow
4 3 inch vband clamps

Things left to finish
Have intercooler and pipes welded
put front bumper back on
Fab up exhaust
fix fuel leak.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Well it's been awhile since i've updated this thread.

Here's the way the car is sitting currently. Runs pretty well tuned for 23psi. Ended up having the exhaust made by Nightmare Motorsports. It's great i love it!
p1786482_1.jpg

p1786482_2.jpg

Photo shoot
p1786482_3.jpg

p1786482_4.jpg

p1786482_5.jpg

Some HDR photos
385444_10150405597956985_598701984_8693840_1097767475_n.jpg

310257_10150405575011985_598701984_8693707_365806793_n.jpg

Plans this winter:
AEM EMS V1
1250cc injectors
Pro Star's wth bigger drag radials
Header Wrap Downpipe
Redoing Intercooler pipes. I'm making each pipe 1 piece then using customer vband clamps.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
any pics of the exhaust? Nice build so far! In the front page i saw you had a rmm downpipe when you were on stock twins. Did you have to modify it or it fit fine on the mk3?

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
xzeror This is the best I could do for pics of the exhaust. I didn't have to cut my rmm downpipe but I did have to cut the mk iii cat back to make it work originally. What I have now is fully custom.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MySupra I bought mine from jdmenginecorp. I would not recommend using them I kinda got screwed.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Well started tearing the car down again lol. Plan for winter goes as such:
-AEM EMS Series II: Ordered
-Shortening Harness to mount in factory location: Harness Removed.
-Reworking intercooler piping and adding vband's.
-Modifying PCV system with braided lines and catch can
-Powder coating cam covers black
-Header Wrap Exhaust
Possible Additional upgrades
-Prostar wheels and slicks
-1600cc injectors and E85.

I will have more pics tonight :).

Thanks!

Matt

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I haven't been able to see what the qsv is going to do yet. I had a really bad rich spot at 4000rpm last year causing the car to bog down. With the AEM that shouldn't be a problem now :) Sure looks sexy on there though.

i've got an Aeromotive A1000 right now. I'm hoping that will be enough.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
That should be enough. I have the QSV opening off wastegate pressure and it makes boost appear quickly, very quick. I will add the solenoid to it soon to have the full effect.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
What rpm do you have full boost at and what size a/r is your exhaust housing? I should probably consider a solenoid as well. I think the only thing I'm lacking fuel system wise is injectors. I wish I would of thought my setup through more before I bought everything initially. I wasted so much money.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
My car is still on the stock fuel system. Just wanted to have it running to work all the kinks out.

I have full boost, 10psi on a DM 67 .81 A/R, at 3200 without a QSV solenoid. I expect that to drop below 3000 with a 6265 and solenoid.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I understand having it running 1st. I had the stock fuel system in mine for awhile. I put down 402whp on 13psi with a different turbo.

I hope I can get mine before 4000rpm.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Well started on the projects again. I currently have the harness out waiting on my AEM EMS V2 so I can make all the wiring adjustments. I also want to make sure I can mount it in the stock location. If so i'm going to shorten the harness accordingly. I've started reworking my intercooler pipe on the turbo side. I also heat wraped my downpipe. I'm going to be dropping the full exhuast tonight so I can paint it and heat wrap further back. I will have pics of all progress tonight :).

Matt

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
NewGen;1790671 said:
Well started tearing the car down again lol. Plan for winter goes as such:
-AEM EMS Series II: (Waiting to receive)
-Shortening Harness to mount in factory location: (Harness Removed.)
-Reworking intercooler piping (waiting on piping).
-Modifying PCV system with braided lines and catch can
-Powder coating cam covers black
Possible Additional upgrades
-Prostar wheels and slicks

Updated list removed some items.