New with an 88 turbo

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
I've basically turned this into my build thread now so, I'll keep everyone updated.

Hey everybody. I am new to the supra world, but im not new to the 7M motors. My first car was a Cressida with the 7MGE and it has been gone for a few years now. About 3 months ago I started to look for a supra and after a month of being a Craigslist whore I came across an amazing find. I found a white '88 Supra with a targa top with 66xxx miles for $1900. I thought it was to good to be true. I call the guy and the next thing you know I was at his house. Besides a few switches not working and a small ding in the fender it was in perfect shape. Here are some pictures, let me know what you think:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

After driving it for the first month I began the quest for more power, so I ordered a lot of parts. HK$ Dragger Exhaust, HK$ Down Pipe, Godspeed Intercooler and Radiator, Greddy Profec B Spec II,Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator, Walbro 255 l/ph Fuel Pump, Turbo XS Type H-RFL BOV. Shortly after I installed the intercooler, exhaust, intake, and radiator and was waiting on more parts to come, the head gasket blew :1zhelp:. So now I am saving up to rebuild the engine from the ground up. Who knows how long this will take, but it will be worth it in the end. Current photos:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
Let me know what you think and I am always open to new opinions and ideas.

1988 Toyota Supra
List of Mods

-Turbo
Stock (for now)

-Bottom End
Wiesco Pistons, Eagle connecting rods, 2mm MHG, ARP head studs to 95 ft lbs.

-Head
New valve job, other than that, stock head

-Intake
Stock intake manifold, Running Turbo XS Type H-RFL BOV, Godspeed intercooler kit (2.5 inch piping)

-Exhaust
HKS Dragger Exhaust (3.5”) and HKS Downpipe (3”)

-Fuel
Lexus AFM, Walbro 255 pump, Aeromotive FPR

-Suspension
Stock

-Brakes
Stock

-Electronics
HKS VPC, Apexi Neo AFC, Greddy Profec B spec 2

-Other
Godspeed Aluminum Radiator

Last edited:

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Good deal! Looks like a great car. Since your building the engine all new, might as well build it to last. Make sure you use a very good machine shop so they tolerance correctly, and deck the block and head to be PERFECTLY flat.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Yea I need to find a good machine shop somewhere in the area, Im in the Detroit area if anyone knows any good shops.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Man that was a nice find!! Looks really clean. I've never really like pinstripes though. But yours seems to be ok. Hows the interior?

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
It has a fabric interior and it is also in excellent condition except for the leather shift boot, steering wheel, and e-brake handle.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Shift boot and E-brake boot can be replaced failry cheap with OEM parts. Steering wheel is another story.

My PO installed a cheap vinyl wrap on the steering wheel to "Protect it"!! When I took it off, the plastic wrap had worn the paint off the leather. So now I have a blue zebra steering wheel. :3d_frown: It still feels ok though.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
Great car is that AUTO or Standard?
Does the AC work?
Does it have Psteering?
Is the dash cracked?
It dosnt matter i would have bought even so too:biglaugh:

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
7mgte1988;1372215 said:
Great car is that AUTO or Standard?
Does the AC work?
Does it have Psteering?
Is the dash cracked?
It dosnt matter i would have bought even so too:biglaugh:

It's a standard trans working AC power steering and it was garage kept so no cracked dash. Ill have to post some more pics hopefully it will be back together in a week or two.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Ill have to get some new pics up i got it running a few days ago but the car doesnt seem to like my new boost controller and just turns off some time randomly. But it is all good other than that lol.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Before I cleaned the engine bay

sm_photo_missing.jpg

all clean! Just took some bug and tar remover and a scrub brush to it the I got really bored and polished it :bling: haha

sm_photo_missing.jpg