New to Them

faithless88

Sep 6, 2007
Utah
I have been looking at getting a car to build up and play with. Since I have driven an 88 corolla for the last 2 years, I have become accustomed to Toyotas. Just wondering whould it be better to get a car such as this or get a stock one and build up form there. I have talked to boostadikt and he would sell it to me for 8k.Just wnat to get some more info.

And if anyone would like to give some tips on what to look for in a supra?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
personally, if you're looking for the build up part of it, I'd get one that's pretty stock so you can do the fun part of doing the upgrades

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
There are a couple of built cars on here for sale that seem like a hell of a deal. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably buy one like that, and go from there. People dump a ton of money and effort into these cars and can't sell them for half of what they put in. (myself included). Although I doubt I'd sell mine, its a disease, but I like suffering with it, heh. You guys are lucky to live in the U.S., the prices are low compared to Canada for what you get. I think you are shopping in the right place.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
In order to really appreciate your supra, you need to buy a stock one and build it up yourself. Go through the build threads and you can see the satisfaction people get when they've accomplished something. Buying one already built would probably be cheaper but it would feel like cheating to me.

You can find a really nice stock supra with a bad motor for cheap and go from there.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
faithless88 said:
I was leaning to a stock one to do myself vs one that was already built to a point.

This is what I have found around me:
87 auto
92 man
Haven't checked craigs list yet.

Keep looking. You can find one cheaper with a lot less miles on the chasis. If I'd have been more patient, I could have bought a nice black 92 turbo with shadow grey interior for 3000 bucks. With any luck you'll come across one that has an owner who doesn't really know what they have.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
that's why, make it road worth enough to drive and you'll be hooked...

that's why I try not to ever take mine off the road for longer than a month, as you start getting to the point that you want to throw int he towel and sell it...

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I bought mine not running. Bought a fresh motor and rebuilt it, and have just been troubleshooting things since then. I started this last January...

But to OT poster, I'd say buy a stock car and modify it. Once you are confident with your experience level [wrenching] start to do bigger mods.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Poodles said:
that's why, make it road worth enough to drive and you'll be hooked...

that's why I try not to ever take mine off the road for longer than a month, as you start getting to the point that you want to throw int he towel and sell it...

Thats the truth! Everytime my car has been down for months on end (7mgte swap and then took it out for 7m build) I started looking for a mk4 supra or just selling my car for something else. But once I got my car back on the road it reminds me why I still have it!

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
2543arvin said:
Thats the truth! Everytime my car has been down for months on end (7mgte swap and then took it out for 7m build) I started looking for a mk4 supra or just selling my car for something else. But once I got my car back on the road it reminds me why I still have it!

right when i got my car, i had it down for 2 months for a BHG. I didnt get discouraged or anything though. I looked at it as a way of getting to know whats in my car and whatnot. I also fixed some minor issues like heater core not being hooked up and etc while i was in there.

esteban1490

Finally a Senior
Mar 22, 2007
Cedar Falls, Iowa
I have checked a good online classfied for my area, craigslist, auto trader, carsoup.com, cars.com; any other places I could check?

Realize that you might have to wait a few months for a good deal to come along. I spent almost a year looking for a supra before I found one for a reasonable price. Good luck w/ your search though.

faithless88

Sep 6, 2007
Utah
I have been watching them for about 4-5 months and none of them have changed. But from the ones I have found would any of them be a fairly good deal?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
faithless88 said:
Been looking again and this is what I found:
87 not much detail
86 manual
87 auto

I have checked a good online classfied for my area, craigslist, auto trader, carsoup.com, cars.com; any other places I could check?

The white 87 looks nice and reasonably priced. The 86.5 has a cool color combo that I would love to have, a little steep for an N/A though, unless it's in mint condition. If so jump on it!!! The dark blue 87 looks good although it has a lot of miles.
Actually, MKIII's are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for one. I'd look into the white 87 a little deeper.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
personally?? I'd get that 86.5 becasue it's a rare color combo (looks AWESOME in person, especially with bronze wheels) and the miles aren't too high for the year...

depends on if it really is as good as the pics say though.

just strt looking, I've seen cars look GREAT in ads and look like utter garbage in person, or the other way around. get pics and post em here and we can usually tell you what it's worth...

don't forget to carfax!

faithless88

Sep 6, 2007
Utah
I have been leaning towards the 87+ for the ma71 and the r154 tranny is the only reason why. But how many are the ma70 vs the ma71? But what I can get ahold of will determine on what I get huh:p