new to the threads, have a quick question!

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
First off, this is my first post. just signed up last night! mostly just so i could ask this question..

So, to start, i'm looking at buying an 86.5 with a 7mgte engine swap, asking price is $1700. not too bad!

However! there's a catch. the guy hasn't figured out why, and i've searched all over google and other car forums trying to find an answer but i have come up with nothing! just a bunch of possibilities! so, i'm wondering if anyones had the same issue!

the issue is, the engine makes a pinging noise, but only between 1800 and 2200 rpms, nothing below or above! he got the engine from a different supra, and when it was in the other car, it made no noises whatsoever, but as soon as it was put in the 86.5, it started making that sound. He thinks it may be a timing issue because the timing does need to be properly set.

the possibilities i've found are:

spun bearing
timing
harmonic balancer
valve stem oil seals
carbon deposites
spark plug chamber
lifters
knock sensor
heat shield
catalytic converter

i've ruled out the catalytic converter mostly because when i went to go look at it, it didn't smell, and the sound seemed to be more the engine than exhaust.

he also took me for a drive in it, and it rides really smooth. that's why he doesn't think its a spun bearing because he brought it up to fourth gear and it was running very smooth.

the noise also seems to only show up when the engine has warmed up a little.

anyway.. any idea's?

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
planemos;1818792 said:
Does it still have the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) hooked up? Adjusting the timing properly wouldn't be a bad idea.

i'm not exactly sure! that would be something to ask him! if it wasn't hooked up, what would that do?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
If it wasn't hooked up the north american ecu would think it is still installed and therefore not change the ignition timing to compensate. Many believe it's wise to keep it. Some believe it is a power hogging system and remove it. If you go standalone then it is fine. Anyway it was just a thought. Do the timing first!

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
i will ask him when i call him later to see if he still has it!
he's almost certain its just a timing issue, but he said he won't stand behind that solidly because he just doesn't know.

if it doesn't have the EGR in it, could that create problems at all later down the road?

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
cote006;1819096 said:
i will ask him when i call him later to see if he still has it!
he's almost certain its just a timing issue, but he said he won't stand behind that solidly because he just doesn't know.

if it doesn't have the EGR in it, could that create problems at all later down the road?
Major problems.
-AM3

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
well i just talked to him, luckily it does still have the EGR in it.
what all can happen if it doesn't have it in?

sorry for all the questions, i don't know too much about these cars, this will actually be my first project car, so my brother in law that's a mechanic is going to help me out with pretty much everything so i can learn how to do it all on my own! i've heard the 7m series engines are pretty easy and cheap to work on, compared to others at least.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Don't worry about the egr. It has it. Good. You can search in other threads to learn about the egr. Also search for (and look at tsrm) to find how to set the timing. If you wanna buy if then it wouldn't be a big deal to go see the guy and get it timed right to see if that fixes it ya know. BTW if it doesn't have an R154 transmission I would say it's not that great of a deal on a car.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
cote006;1819109 said:
i've heard the 7m series engines are pretty easy and cheap to work on, compared to others at least.

you've heard wrong lol

1st you need to figure out what area that noise is coming from
once you have a general idea inspect for anything loose(like loose brackets, exhaust etc)

does it only happen when driving?
can noise be heard with hood open and engine revved up?
what does the oil pressure gauge show for pressure?
does noise go away with different driving? like gpa driving or ricer driving? lol

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
jonahs_supra;1819244 said:
you've heard wrong lol

1st you need to figure out what area that noise is coming from
once you have a general idea inspect for anything loose(like loose brackets, exhaust etc)

does it only happen when driving?
can noise be heard with hood open and engine revved up?
what does the oil pressure gauge show for pressure?
does noise go away with different driving? like gpa driving or ricer driving? lol

well when i went to look at it, he started it up and opened the hood, it seemed that as the engine got warmed up, the noise was more apparent, but still strictly between 1800 and 2200 rpms. He wasn't lying when he said it wouldn't happen above or below that rpm range. but it didn't do it every time it would rev up. only some times.

but luckily, whatever it is, my brother in law is a mechanic and is rebuilding his project car currently, and building a rat rod, and has agreed that he'll help me out figuring everything out that i'll need to fix on it, and he's gonna help me fix everything too. if worst comes to worst, i'll just buy a replacement engine when i get back from Basic Training in December because I'll have about $5000 saved up from that, plus whatever i make at my current job before I leave.

edit: i'd also like to add that the car drives very smoothly. when it's actually driving, and not just sitting in neutral and not being revved up, the sound isn't as noticeable, but that is most likely just because i was inside the car, not outside. I have a video of the sound it's making, if that would help at all with figuring out what it could be? Before I went and looked at it, he emailed me a link to a video he took of it revving up and got the sound in there.

here's the video link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRJoHtbzDs

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
planemos;1819225 said:
Don't worry about the egr. It has it. Good. You can search in other threads to learn about the egr. Also search for (and look at tsrm) to find how to set the timing. If you wanna buy if then it wouldn't be a big deal to go see the guy and get it timed right to see if that fixes it ya know. BTW if it doesn't have an R154 transmission I would say it's not that great of a deal on a car.

I have a w58 in my car with 330k miles that would strongly disagree. Had the w58 rebuilt and have been running ~9-11 psi on it for the last 20k miles. :) Hasn't missed a beat. W58 is smoother and with a good aftermarket clutch can hold about as much power as the stock HG if you dont dump the clutch or try to drift with it. The R154 is definitely better for higher power levels, but if you plan on stock-ish power then a w58 can handle a turbo motor no problem. :)

cote006;1819308 said:
well when i went to look at it, he started it up and opened the hood, it seemed that as the engine got warmed up, the noise was more apparent, but still strictly between 1800 and 2200 rpms. He wasn't lying when he said it wouldn't happen above or below that rpm range. but it didn't do it every time it would rev up. only some times.

but luckily, whatever it is, my brother in law is a mechanic and is rebuilding his project car currently, and building a rat rod, and has agreed that he'll help me out figuring everything out that i'll need to fix on it, and he's gonna help me fix everything too. if worst comes to worst, i'll just buy a replacement engine when i get back from Basic Training in December because I'll have about $5000 saved up from that, plus whatever i make at my current job before I leave.

edit: i'd also like to add that the car drives very smoothly. when it's actually driving, and not just sitting in neutral and not being revved up, the sound isn't as noticeable, but that is most likely just because i was inside the car, not outside. I have a video of the sound it's making, if that would help at all with figuring out what it could be? Before I went and looked at it, he emailed me a link to a video he took of it revving up and got the sound in there.

here's the video link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzRJoHtbzDs

Hard to tell much from the video, but it doesn't sound too bad. If you want a car to learn on and dont mind knowing you WILL need to spend a lot of $$$ just on maintenance I'd say it's a good deal. If you're looking for a daily driver with 400 hp, you may want to find a nicer mk3 and put down more $$. With any mk3, you'll need to keep it in good shape with a lot of maintenance. These cars are pretty old, but they run great if you take care of em.

cote006

Mar 19, 2012
St. Cloud, Minnesota
suprarx7nut;1819367 said:
I have a w58 in my car with 330k miles that would strongly disagree. Had the w58 rebuilt and have been running ~9-11 psi on it for the last 20k miles. :) Hasn't missed a beat. W58 is smoother and with a good aftermarket clutch can hold about as much power as the stock HG if you dont dump the clutch or try to drift with it. The R154 is definitely better for higher power levels, but if you plan on stock-ish power then a w58 can handle a turbo motor no problem. :)

Hard to tell much from the video, but it doesn't sound too bad. If you want a car to learn on and dont mind knowing you WILL need to spend a lot of $$$ just on maintenance I'd say it's a good deal. If you're looking for a daily driver with 400 hp, you may want to find a nicer mk3 and put down more $$. With any mk3, you'll need to keep it in good shape with a lot of maintenance. These cars are pretty old, but they run great if you take care of em.

I already plan on putting a lot of money into it haha I'm getting it solely as a project car.