New to the Supra world

kisedcd

Apr 30, 2008
Minneapolis/St Paul, MN
First I would like to say hi to all Supra enthusiasts. From what I have seen of the forum so far it is top notch. Thank you.
I recently acquired a MKIII turbo that the previous owner had started an upgrade. Lots of parts came with the car,most not so good. Not knowing the state of the engine and not in any great hurry to get it on the road - I want to get things right the first time, soooooo I decided to pull the engine have everything checked over. Also had some machine work done such as for MHG and remote filter and use of an RX7 oil cooler.
The head is remaining stock. Valves, seats, springs and all related hardware checked good. A valve job was a completed and I'm now assembling the head. #1 problem - I left out the valve oil seals. WTF. Anyway, #2 problem so I was checking everything over and found that shinning a flash light in different intake an exhaust ports I can see light around the valve and seat.
I'm thinking aloud now, this can't be good. Seats are original as are the valves, they should be sealing well enough to not see light through them, do you agree? I already have a different shop in mind to make it right, is it fare to ask for a refund for the cost of the valve job if it is deemed to be bad?
I searched for related issues without luck. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 100_1201.jpg
    100_1201.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
kisedcd;1017334 said:
First I would like to say hi to all Supra enthusiasts. From what I have seen of the forum so far it is top notch. Thank you.
I recently acquired a MKIII turbo that the previous owner had started an upgrade. Lots of parts came with the car,most not so good. Not knowing the state of the engine and not in any great hurry to get it on the road - I want to get things right the first time, soooooo I decided to pull the engine have everything checked over. Also had some machine work done such as for MHG and remote filter and use of an RX7 oil cooler.
The head is remaining stock. Valves, seats, springs and all related hardware checked good. A valve job was a completed and I'm now assembling the head. #1 problem - I left out the valve oil seals. WTF. Anyway, #2 problem so I was checking everything over and found that shinning a flash light in different intake an exhaust ports I can see light around the valve and seat.
I'm thinking aloud now, this can't be good. Seats are original as are the valves, they should be sealing well enough to not see light through them, do you agree? I already have a different shop in mind to make it right, is it fare to ask for a refund for the cost of the valve job if it is deemed to be bad?
I searched for related issues without luck. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to SM Got pictures ? thats the #1 thing on here... PICS ... gota have pics..... Its Like looking at a playboy with no pictures... You can describe her to a Tee but just no damn good with out a picture