New to engine work - stupid question?

80083r

I'm fairly technically savvy, but lacking a great deal of knowledge in this area. I'm studying hard and reading lots, but sometimes it's faster to ask the stupid question than searching forever.

If the crank is the same on the 7MGE and 7MGTE are the same, how is the compression different? Obviously after the turbo spools up, there is more compression due to adding more air to the same stroke...

Is the air intake modified by having to pull past the turbo?

I told you it was a stupid question - is it all just how much air (and fuel) is sucked/pushed into the cylinder during intake?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Don't quote me on this just yet but I believe the pistons are different.

And ask all the stupid Questions you want sir. Some will let it bother them but most of us don't mind to help.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Turbo Habanero;1879490 said:
Don't quote me on this just yet but I believe the pistons are different.

And ask all the stupid Questions you want sir. Some will let it bother them but most of us don't mind to help.

I'm almost positive the pistons are different between the 7M and 7MGTE. Pistons would probably be the easiest way to either reduce/increase compression. I have a Haynes Repair manual for the 7M & 7MGTE. I'll check when I get home from work and let you know for sure.

egesledder

Mar 26, 2012
Boulder, CO
Turbo pistons are dished to add more volume to the combustion chamber size at TDC. Bore/stroke are the same, so they displace them same, but the volume of air at TDC for the turbo version is larger than the N/A version. This makes the compression ratio lower and, in this case, the cranking compression lower (those two are not always tied together).

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
The height of the pistons or length of the rods should affect compression, whereas the diameter of the cylinders/pistons should affect displacement. I'm definitely not an expert, but that's always been my understanding.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
In short, GTE pistons are lower compression (8.4:1) and GE pistons are higher compression (9.1:1). They will both fit, but I wouldn't recommend using GE pistons in a turbo application unless you know what you're doing. There can be advantages to running the higher compression, but you need to understand what else is going on before just dropping them in and turning up the boost.

Slayr504;1879943 said:
The height of the pistons or length of the rods should affect compression, whereas the diameter of the cylinders/pistons should affect displacement. I'm definitely not an expert, but that's always been my understanding.

Boring it out will give you a tiny bit less compression. You're making slightly more space in the combustion chamber with the same stroke. It's not going to be hugely significant, but it will make a tiny difference. Same reasons as specified above and why using different head gasket thicknesses will affect it as well.

Other than the pistons, the rest of the block is pretty close to the same. GTE block has oil squirters, the hole drilled for the turbo oil return all ready, and knock sensor ports tapped for 2 rather than 1.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
radiod;1879971 said:
In short, GTE pistons are lower compression (8.4:1) and GE pistons are higher compression (9.1:1). They will both fit, but I wouldn't recommend using GE pistons in a turbo application unless you know what you're doing. There can be advantages to running the higher compression, but you need to understand what else is going on before just dropping them in and turning up the boost.

Boring it out will give you a tiny bit less compression. You're making slightly more space in the combustion chamber with the same stroke. It's not going to be hugely significant, but it will make a tiny difference. Same reasons as specified above and why using different head gasket thicknesses will affect it as well.

Other than the pistons, the rest of the block is pretty close to the same. GTE block has oil squirters, the hole drilled for the turbo oil return all ready, and knock sensor ports tapped for 2 rather than 1.
Yea totally forgot about the head gasket lol good explanation. In my head I can picture and know what's going on, I'm just terrible at putting it to words lol

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Slayr504;1879943 said:

The stroke will also increase displacement.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
IndigoMKII;1880021 said:
The stroke will also increase displacement.
Like I said, I'm definitely not an expert lol. I throw in my $.02 every now and then anticipating a more knowledgeable individual will correct me or add to what I was saying and in turn I learn something new. So thanks for being that individual in this instance :thumbup: :)