New Sub Box (mk2 content)

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
Well after a thread was started up a couple weeks back about a sub box that takes place of rear seats, it got me thinking that that is what i wanted to do. I rarely ever have people in the back seat (no one can sit behind me at 6'1", seat too far back). And whenever i do they always track in a bunch of dirt or slam the seat forward, etc. Also i hated having the giant freakin box in the hatch.

SO I did what i thought was the best compromise and got rid of both. Started by making the design out of card board then traced it on to some high density MDF. Started working away and came up with this:

The box is a flush continuation of the hatch floor all the way up. I will be getting some speaker grills to protect the subs so if i make use of the extra space I wont hurt them.

p1099619_1.jpg

p1099619_2.jpg

p1099619_3.jpg

I made sure the box part was at least 1 cubic foot for each sub as i hear that is what is recommended for 12 inch woofers. Its actually a little bigger than 1 Cu Ft each.
Got some black autocarpet and covered the box. I made a new hatch carpet out of some leftover thin house carpeting. It will suffice for now but i will be changing to the same stuff that the box is wrapped in. I just am using that money for seats right now.

I have those two 12s hooked to a 800 watt amp.
I have two inch circles in the dash and some six inch circles in the rear hooked to my head unit (4x50 watts). Im hoping to put two 6x9s in the lower face of the box with a 400 watt amp power them. But i still dont know, it looks clean and sounds great, so maybe the 6x9s arent needed.

Hope you like it.

pics dont look as good as real life..they are just quick snaps

SilverSupraT

7M '78 Toyota Pickup
Oct 3, 2005
Eastern WA
www.geocities.com
Looks great man. You did a nice job of making it flow with the rest of the interior. I dunno about the 1 cu/ft though... Every sub is different depending on how it was engineered. Every box that I've ever built I just looked it up on the manufacture's website (or given them a call if I couldn't find it).

I'm sure you know this but don't have the 6x9's share the same space as the subs. If the volume behind them is separated then using the same box would be good/efficient.

85celicasupra

spokane supra owner
Mar 9, 2008
spokane,wa
forums.celicasupra.com
I just remember hearing that general rule of thumb (if you cant find actual dimensions) 1 cu ft should work... Bigger cant hurt either so its bigger anyways.

I wasnt going to have the 6x9s share..there is alot of room on the front face that isnt the sub box.

and thanx.
Once the new seats in the interior will be 100% done (might do a headliner but havent decided since mine is fine)

Then i will put together my custom turbo on the 2.8 5m.
Before winter hits (within the next 2 months)

Then spring time comes paint.