New Napa Platinum synthetic oil filters

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
1229436.jpg

Part Number: PFL 41348

Product Line: Platinum Filters

Attributes: Flow Rate : 7 to 9 gpm Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.43" Gasket I.D. (mm) : 62 mm Media Type : Wire Backed Synthetic Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (Inches) : 2.734" Oil Filter Gasket O.D. (mm) : 69 mm Oil Filter Height (Inches) : 3.404" Oil Filter Height (mm) : 86 mm Oil Filter O.D. (Inches) : 2.921" Oil Filter O.D. (mm) : 74 mm Oil Filter Style : Spin-On Lube Filter Oil Filter Thread Size (inches) : 3/4-16
http://napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal...9001+101987+50070+2070018&Ar=AND(P_RecType:A)

Just picked one up for $14 and will be doing my oil change with Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic. Pretty pricey but i didnt use my work discount.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IBoughtASupra;1820699 said:
So Purolator is actually a good filter. Wow.

JDub, know anything about Hastings oil filters?

Purolator Pureone filters are quite good - std Purolator, not so.

Sorry - don't know much about the Hastings.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
mecevans;1821460 said:
Changed the oil today and im seeing 2-3 psi more oil pressure than the napa gold.
Did you change the weight of the oil? Pressure is a resistance to flow, which isn't always the best thing. So if you did not change the weight of your oil that increase is probably due to the oil being older and losing viscosity. Now if you just changed the filter with another and got a increase in pressure, that filter is not flowing as well.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The pressure sensor is after the filter - it senses pressure in the oil channel that feeds the bearings & squirters. If anything, the synthetic media in the Platinum will flow better than cellulose in the Gold. That would explain the small increase in pressure at the sender.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
jdub;1821651 said:
The pressure sensor is after the filter - it senses pressure in the oil channel that feeds the bearings & squirters. If anything, the synthetic media in the Platinum will flow better than cellulose in the Gold. That would explain the small increase in pressure at the sender.
Pressure goes up as flow goes down and filtration goes up. Just as a supercharger on a stock engine might see 10psi. Take that same engine, port the head with valve job, change nothing at all besides that. Reinstall the supercharger and the same setup will see probably 6psi with more power than the prevoius setup. Why because the head is flowing more which means the pressure aka resistance to flow will go down. Trust me I know I was in that exact position. Its fluids dynamics 101, I'm not saying the filter is no good, actually saying the filter is actually filtering better. Just not flowing as well.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
IBoughtASupra;1821699 said:
Ahhh yes, no defying the laws of physics.
Just trying to help explain why the increase could be happening. More oil pressure is only good to a point. IMHO, the oil system we have low pressure high flow is probably the best minus a dry sump of coarse. Just like the last honda engine I built for a freind. He didnt know what he was doing and installed the wrong size rings, to small. Everything was kept the same, bearing clearance were good, same new oil pump just replaced the rings and gapped them correctly. But when I had the engine apart I did some port and radius work on the oil passages I could get to. the wngine now back together lost 3 psi at idle. But with cutting out the 90* walls basically and sharp edges and flowing everything together the oil system is flowing way more just less resistance to the flow, hence the loss in pressure.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
tmsperformance;1821692 said:
Pressure goes up as flow goes down and filtration goes up. Just as a supercharger on a stock engine might see 10psi. Take that same engine, port the head with valve job, change nothing at all besides that. Reinstall the supercharger and the same setup will see probably 6psi with more power than the prevoius setup. Why because the head is flowing more which means the pressure aka resistance to flow will go down. Trust me I know I was in that exact position. Its fluids dynamics 101, I'm not saying the filter is no good, actually saying the filter is actually filtering better. Just not flowing as well.

Actually, that is backwards: Increase in flow falls as pressure rises - that occurs at a specific point, depending on the fluid. Using the supercharger example, it occurs at critical mach (velocity) for air at a specific density. Up to that point flow will increase with little pressure increase - after critical mach, pressure increases exponentially with much smaller increases in flow. You might want to review Fluid Dynamics 101 before you debate me on that subject ;)

Oil is a much denser fluid and behaves differently than air since liquids have no real compression factor. Hence, any resistance to flow will have an immediate/direct impact on pressure and flow is much more limited by pump capacity/pipe size. You need to pay attention where the pressure sensor is placed before you make statements about flow...i.e increase in pressure is caused by resistance downstream of the sensor. The facts on the 7M oil system:
- Oil path is directly from the pump to the filter. Then from the filter to the main oil channel.
- There is a relief valve incorporated on the pump and there is a bypass valve in the filter. Both are there as safety measures to prevent over pressurization of the system or if the filter media is blocked.
- If the filter has more resistance, the pump relief valve can actuate and will dump oil directly to the pan. If there is less resistance at the filter, there will be increased flow to the main oil channel along the block - there will be increased flow to the turbo as well.
- Resistance to flow at the oil channel is determined by by the bearings and the oil squirters. If there is increased flow to the oil channel (caused by less resistance at the filter), you will see a slight increase in pressure (at the sensor) due to the bearing/squirter resistance downstream.

This is what the oil pressure sensor is seeing. You do not have an oil pressure sensor pre-filter, so you cannot determine if the filter is showing more resistance or not. In addition, synthetic media in an oil filter is by its nature/properties is less resistance to flow than cellulose (paper). As a result, synthetic media tends to be less efficient at first in removing particles - it depends on it's density. This changes fairly quickly as synthetic media "loads up" with particles - it becomes as efficient or better than cellulose. The big advantage synthetic media has is capacity - it will hold 2-3 times the particles before blocking up and causing the filter to go into bypass.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IBoughtASupra;1821699 said:
Ahhh yes, no defying the laws of physics.

As long as they are applied correctly ;)

tmsperformance;1821707 said:
Just trying to help explain why the increase could be happening. More oil pressure is only good to a point. IMHO, the oil system we have low pressure high flow is probably the best minus a dry sump of coarse. Just like the last honda engine I built for a freind. He didnt know what he was doing and installed the wrong size rings, to small. Everything was kept the same, bearing clearance were good, same new oil pump just replaced the rings and gapped them correctly. But when I had the engine apart I did some port and radius work on the oil passages I could get to. the wngine now back together lost 3 psi at idle. But with cutting out the 90* walls basically and sharp edges and flowing everything together the oil system is flowing way more just less resistance to the flow, hence the loss in pressure.

You're getting it now ;)
Making for a smoother flow will drop pressure, but improve flow.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mecevans;1821739 said:
And btw i have a full flow oiling system and a shimmed pump

In that case, your oil pump relief valve is not dumping oil to the pan ;)

You have the complete set-up, cooler and remote filter per the full flow sticky in this section?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Canton filter head, -10 an lines, remote filter head. Havent installed the 10x11 b&m cooler and mocal stat as i need more hose. I have beat on it pretty hard and have yet to see oil temp above 195.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mecevans;1821821 said:
Canton filter head, -10 an lines, remote filter head. Havent installed the 10x11 b&m cooler and mocal stat as i need more hose. I have beat on it pretty hard and have yet to see oil temp above 195.

The stock cooler is actually not too bad, just a bit small IMO - the problem with it is it's pressure based, essentially creating another pressure bleed on the system.
Where is the oil temp sensor located?

With those lines and the Platinum filter, I am confident of what is causing the slight increase in pressure you're seeing. You are getting increased flow to the block oil channel - a good thing ;)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
jdub;1821837 said:
The stock cooler is actually not too bad, just a bit small IMO - the problem with it is it's pressure based, essentially creating another pressure bleed on the system.
Where is the oil temp sensor located?

With those lines and the Platinum filter, I am confident of what is causing the slight increase in pressure you're seeing. You are getting increased flow to the block oil channel - a good thing ;)

I just used my infrared gun at the pan, filter mount, and lines after a hard run. Next oc ill install the cooler.