new motor..... what to swap in?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wilcox;1945317 said:
ya i thought about all of the wiring work and mounts and other bs, and im throwing the v8 idea out the window. if i go 7mgte i still have to buy an intercooler and piping and should probably go through it and make sure the block is decked and it is nice and balanced. i priced a 7mgte at 1500 and thats without intercooler or any other misc. mods. i think im going to do a 7m block with a 5m head itb's and bc stage two cams. how does that sound?

For starters, you'd basically be making a 6M, and it's not worth it, especially in a big fat MKIII. ITB's are also half of your budget in cost. Cams won't make enough difference, not to mention they don't make cams for the 5M.

Wilcox;1945514 said:
if i could find a 7mgte for that price i would not argue or look at it twice, but i dont know where to find used engines like that except places like jdmenginedepot.com. also i want to do a 5m head because it ups the compression ratio and its easeir to set up itsb's with the intake runner design of the 5m head. i also believe that using the 5m head slims the chances of eating HG's in the future.

Not higher compression, especially with the lack of aftermarket pistons unlike the 7M. Also, because of the head design, it would be more prone to HG failures, not less. There's no real difference that would make ITB's harder or easier on either engine.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Dan_Gyoba;1945114 said:
For 3k, it's got to be another 7M, and you'll have to do a lot of the work.
heh, I bet I could do a VK45 for much less than that, but there would be many favors called in -_-

LunaVyohr;1946068 said:
Why 1uz? Why not an LS engine?

only question is.... raspy 2 valve american muscle.... OR baller 4 valve OHC setup.... the 2 valve setup is advantageous for many reasons... more power, low center of gravity, less mass.... BUT I am personally getting quite tired of hearing chevy v8s running around all over the place -_-

realistically, if you don't want a headache... you'd go with a 2jz or a 7m... your choice. 2j might make your head or your wallet hurt slightly... not sure which

Wilcox;1945923 said:
thats the other problem i have. ive been looking around lately and even if i can get a 7m-gte the only way i can get a wiring harness and ecu is if i buy the motor with a r154. i can find the ecu for sale seperately but not the wiring harness. i really dont think that a 7m-gte with ecu, wiring harnesss, and r154 is worth 2,400. i need to find a wiring harness and ecu
O_O I bought my whole supra w/ a fresh 7mgte in it for $2,500 bored out block, ported head. no more than 1,500 miles on it. also has a MHG and ARP head bolts... I'd say just keep looking, keep saving your $$ and if you can't stand to look any longer, pull the trigger. my buddy got a fully built 7m recently for $500... guy didn't even use it... decided to go 2jz :-/ you should be able to find a ecu for $50 or so, and a harness for $100-200+

LunaVyohr

Classhole
Sep 30, 2011
Paonia, Colorado
Insidious Surmiser;1946069 said:
heh, I bet I could do a VK45 for much less than that, but there would be many favors called in -_-

only question is.... raspy 2 valve american muscle.... OR baller 4 valve OHC setup.... the 2 valve setup is advantageous for many reasons... more power, low center of gravity, less mass.... BUT I am personally getting quite tired of hearing chevy v8s running around all over the place -_-

realistically, if you don't want a headache... you'd go with a 2jz or a 7m... your choice.

The "baller" 4 valve engine is also larger, wider, makes far less power stock, has far less potential without dumping a huge amount of money into it, and still costs a fuck-load of money to stuff into a Supra.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
LunaVyohr;1946070 said:
The "baller" 4 valve engine is also larger, wider, makes far less power stock, has far less potential without dumping a huge amount of money into it, and still costs a fuck-load of money to stuff into a Supra.
quite precisely why i specified the advantages of the 2 valve *facepalm there is no reason a 4 valve swap would cost more or less, it all relates directly to your method of aquisition, installation, and your personal resources... think outside the box guys

forgive me for thinking a single turbo VK45 sounds really good... or thinking 900hp is excessive for my goals... because both of those statements are true.

*edit: ok, so twin turbo is badass too 8)

Last edited:

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
LunaVyohr;1946068 said:
Why 1uz? Why not an LS engine?

unless you can give my a website, and some insight i have no idea where to go on that one. i like the sound of both and respect both in different ways. other thing to think about is that i NEED a manual tranmission. and i dont think i can swap any of the ls series and find a t56 for around 3k..... /:

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Wilcox;1946200 said:
i would but i dont feel like beating the firewall back 3 inches being that my supra is an '87

where did you get your information from? 2jz and 1jz are the EXACT same size. only one has more displacement. the v160/161 trans which is like 5 grand hooked up to the 2jzgte doesn't fit in our mk3s and needs the transmission tunnel beat to hell. Think about it a 1uz 4L V8 lexus motor fits in interchangeable with the jz's as well in a Lexus SC. I would go for the v8 but it's a lot more work, I have a 1jz tt-r I love the way it sounds when it rev's but the v8's would be less hassle in the long run. (blown turbo's, faulty cooling, excess heat) etc. I mean you can get it good running if you want but theres just more to go wrong all in all.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1UZ has a VERY expensive upgrade path if you want more power. It's also only 4 liters. An LS motor can be built over 8 liters if one has the money for it (realistically, it would be much smaller, but parts are still VERY VERY cheap and VERY VERY available compared to doing anything with the 1UZ).

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably drop a 1UZ with a blower sticking out of the hood of an old first gen Celica to make a mini muscle car, but dollar for dollar the LS motors are very hard to beat for being antiquated technology.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
Poodles;1946219 said:
1UZ has a VERY expensive upgrade path if you want more power. It's also only 4 liters. An LS motor can be built over 8 liters if one has the money for it (realistically, it would be much smaller, but parts are still VERY VERY cheap and VERY VERY available compared to doing anything with the 1UZ).

Don't get me wrong, I'd probably drop a 1UZ with a blower sticking out of the hood of an old first gen Celica to make a mini muscle car, but dollar for dollar the LS motors are very hard to beat for being antiquated technology.

i understand, but i have no idea where to start. dont get me wrong i love a good cammed v8 but i dont think i could afford an ls sereies swap right now. i only have 3k to work with.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
yeah im thinking that if im going to do it right ill have to go NA 7m. for 3k i should be able to do: bc cams, arp head studs, obx racing exhaust and other little mods here and there.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Wilcox;1946475 said:
yeah im thinking that if im going to do it right ill have to go NA 7m. for 3k i should be able to do: bc cams, arp head studs, obx racing exhaust and other little mods here and there.

Uhhh...or just get a GTE and leave it stock and your leaps ahead of the NA...if your looking to have a car to race around (seems like that's the case) you don't want to go NA...your gonna end up pulling that out and going turbo once u spend a bunch of money trying to get the NA to give u a woody.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Poodles;1946548 said:
Wait... what?

You are aware turbo technology is light years ahead of where they were back then, right?

this is true :rofl:

7M4EVR;1946552 said:
Uhhh...or just get a GTE and leave it stock and your leaps ahead of the NA...if your looking to have a car to race around (seems like that's the case) you don't want to go NA...your gonna end up pulling that out and going turbo once u spend a bunch of money trying to get the NA to give u a woody.

not entirely true... you could always put a turbo on the n/a and just swap the appropriate hardware.... a lil bit of a pain, but not something that requires an entire engine swap by any means.... sure, it'll be just as much work almost... but you won't need another engine.... ALSO the hardtop N/A I had was almost as quick as my turbo targa. no joke, it was quite surprising. pretty much a brand new engine though bored .30 over or something...

so, all in all... if he has a turbo car, all he really needs is a good block/head... should at any rate

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Wilcox;1946475 said:

My vote goes 1UZ or a FI 350. For the money you would spend building the NA 7M you can do a 1UZ swap and have money left over. I just helped a friend in Virginia finish his 1UZ swap, he did everything for under 2k, that includes the car purchase... Wiring is simple with the 1UZ, my wiring guide gives all the info you need to make it happen.

The other option I put a vote up for is a 350 with a fuel injection conversion, there are a handfull of options for fuel injection, and some of them learn your engine, so you dont 'have' to do a dyno tune. The 350 engines can be had for cheap and build for cheap but the FI conversion could cost more than the engine depending on who you know.