new hood

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so for the first time in over a year the junkyard got a supra in there!!!!! It was an 88 7mgte, figured i would take a look and see what if anything would work on my 89. Mainly exterior/interior stuff.

Well i found out the hard way, that there is not much. tailights too small. damn. Mirrors were broken, door panels torn to shit just for the speakers? seats torn. So really not much that i could use if any is even interchangable. It did have a nice vented hood (carbon fiber) so i figured i would atleast get that. Got it installed and not sure if it is warped or the bodies are way different front to back. The hood lines up and hits the latch and will close with a little work. But the fender areas do not seal (top to bottom) and the gap on the edge is 3/8 or so. even the front nose panel is slightly gapped. It also hits the radiator?

I am debating on selling it if it is unusable. Help me out

Sorry let me make what i am asking more clear what all can i use form an 88 mk3 on an 89 mk3 exterior/interior wise

Last edited:

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The 89'-'92's aren't that much different from the '86.5-'88's. The tail lights would fit if you swapped the center part (though most will argue the '89+ look better). The rest would fit just fine. The only thing else that wouldn't bolt up between years is the fog lights and front turn signals since the bumper shape is different, you'd need to swap bumpers.

Do you need tails?

On the hood, if it fit on the junkyard car OK, then it probably just needs adjusted. They're the same for all years.

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
i was ther when you took the tail lights back today lol i seen the hood the other day but was straped at the time or i would have grabed it got the rack and the right side spindel and upper controle arm out of that one today it had a good set of tires on it when it came in kinda sux people had to tear it up to get some stuff

i may go back and get some moldings off of it
and thanks for leaving the hood struts i needed them :)

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Yeah both the hood struts are attached. The alignment is good and it hits the latch but there is a 1/2 in gap between hood and nose panel. and it bulges think it might be hitting the radiator? I thought i needed taillights turns out it is the seal behind them that i need to repair, leaks when it rains.

Will get pics of hood up soon I did measure it and its the same. Is it possible for it get warped? It was onty off the car for two hours then put on mine. Any other ideas of how i could fix?

hey duffer pm your number your local and i dont know of anyone else on here that is. Maybe you can help me out with my car? By the way i seen how they dicked the door panels for speakers, ingnition lock, and little other things. I was there when the guy came and got the tires. By the way i took all the side moldings if thats what you were looking for. there is also a white one just behind it. By the way what year is your car? If i cant get this hood right ill sell it to ya for what i paid/

duffer26

Jun 15, 2005
Colorado Springs CO
the # is 322-9442

got a 86.5 i saved from the crusher dont look the best but the inside is coming around kinda got the grey/blue thing going on lol

the hood might just be a bad/cheep casting so may never fit perfect

i'm also listed on the breakdown hotline thread

Last edited:

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
cool if you need some extra parts let me know. I got a few things we can work a deal on if your interested. turbos ic pipes intercoolers, ac system. bunch of stuff i either replaced or took off and changed.

Also got a brand new set of tires maybe 300 miles on them on stock wheels. 225 50/55 16 i believe.

I am thinking the hood might just be warped or something but whats weird is that it doesnt seal on the fenders either?