New here ....any swfl people near by?

mako18

Mar 15, 2008
FL
About the car

So,

A good friend of mine gave me his 87 Supra turbo. The exterior is white and has some minor ruff spots. The interior is blue and nearly mint considering the car was in storage for about half of its life before my friend bought it with about 60k for 2k. After doing minor mods here and there, HKS downpipe, intake, relocated pwr steering res., catless exhaust 2.5", shimmed wastegate and manual boost controller. Guess what? the damn thing decided to blow a head gasket with the aid of the extra cfm the turbo was pumping out, we thought it would be a quick headgasket change and we would be off and going once again.............................

Or so we thought......

Well after pulling the cyl head and seeing just how bad it was corroded we discovered the head gasket blew because Toyota didn't know how to properly ground an engine (well atleast in the 80's). So he then decide to rebuilt the engine (or refresh) using factory components with exception of new rings and bearings of course, he bought a "performance cylinder head locally" long story short is he got screwed on the head the machinist was a real joke, it ended up causing a massive oil leak 30 miles from everything with no oil and no phone he had to drive her home....so the $3,000 bucks he spent was gone.. The the car shows up at my door.....I already have two cars and just recently gave a bmw and a rx7 away because I had no room for them! So needless to say the last thing that I wanted was another busted car....aka money Pit.. I passed the car on to my younger bro Andrew.

The build

He is now currently the proud owner of this Supra. We are building the car on his dime (since its his baby) and using my experience to build a nice first car for him. So far we have removed the engine and bought a brand new cylinder head complete with cams all factory specs, complete engine gasket set. He just recently decided to build the short block using Titans rotating assembly eagle rods and Cp pistons .020 over, MLS HG, ARP head bolts and rod bolts. After the short block is assembled a 60-1 Ct26 will be the turbo of choice. We have yet to decide what to do with fuel and tuning, possibly Megasquirt and 550cc injectors. This has been and should continue to be a fun experience for the both of us.. I really like this forum it has been very helpful!!!

ANYONE HAVE ANY OF THESE PARTS ...PM ME!!!!

ME
My name is Darryl friends call me "D". I am in North Fort Myers, FL. I drive a 99 BMW //M roadster <---all stock.....I also have a 89 BMW 325is project car currenlty has worked suspension and is now undergoing turbo 2.8l stroker build, megasquirt with fuel/spark bla bla bla your SuPrA peeps you don't want to hear about my sewing machine....

Any mkiii owners near by? Cape coral...NFM...Fort myers?????

Pics of progress...umm... soon to come ..and its slow............

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
I used to live in Naples... not many Supra peeps around unfortunately. I know of one guy in Cape Coral, that's it. The majority of Supra heads are up in the Tampa area and over near Ft. Lauderdale.