new head gasket job car runs like crap

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
Anyway, I just did the headgasket job on my car check the cps for proper alignment took the cover for the cams everything aligns. I start the car the engine has this popping noise and the car is running like its missing and when you rev big white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I check and check that cps even took out the valve cover making sure its aligning properly. check for engine codes only blink 1. Will a blown headgasket foul out a spark plug? If anybody can chime will appreciate it. Also if somebody can look in to their injector colors is white then red then white then red for the connections. I also did compression check most of the cylinders are above 140

Motofool

Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
white smoke is usually water coming out of the tail pipe

blue is generally oil burning.

sounds like you may have not cured the head gasket problem. did you have the head and block machined to a very smooth surface? what head gasket did you use?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
did you change the oil and whatnot after the bhg? Check your timing. Check your plugs. Anything that may cause a miss check.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
I did replace the oil twice. The smell of the smoke smells like the car is running rich. When I start the car it post on the 1 piston and smells coming out from the number 1 fuel injector. I am lost with this. The alignment of the cams at top dead center are the lobes point towards each other or away from each other? Also if you guys don't mind looking at your motors and letting me know the sequence for the injector wiring I can't rembemember if it is white then red or red then white. Any help will be appreciated.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
polarity on the injectors doesnt make any difference. you can have them either way.

check ignition timing and see where that is. and yes, a bhg can foul plugs. i'd replace those while i was at it too.

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
also if you ran it for a while with a bhg you may have burnt your rings like i did (mine was blown when i bought it ) 140 is a bit low it may be the cause for smoke i tihnk its supposed to be 160 - 165 but im not posative can someone give good comp numbers please

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
142 psi., minimum of 128 psi. Max difference of 14 psi.

White smoke could be water/coolant burning out of the exhaust and catalytic converter. For the alignment of the cams, the notches on the gears should point straight up at the marks on the rear covers. Alignment pins in both the cams and gears should be in the center holes. Change the spark plugs, and see if the miss goes away. I would also check the plug wires and make sure they have a good connection on both the coils and plugs.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
I changed a BHG once in a parking lot :3d_frown: , and 2 of the o-rings on the injectors went missing (didn't realize it until the car was back together and running) and this made the car run like shit. I guess air was getting past the injectors, and not through the AFM, causing the engine to run horrible.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
On my friends car, we had to change out his spark plugs even though they were fairly new. That solved his missing problem.

Last edited:

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
thanks for all the responses I change the spark plugs and the doesn't pop as much I will have to order the spark plug wire when I got the car with the bhg the spark plug wires are soaked in oil due to valve cover leak I will look in to checking on the fuel injectors to just replace the rubber the ran like its missing still though I check the ecu for codes still none its just blinks 1. I guess I have to order more parts for this car goodness I wanna start driving this car. If you guys have anymore ideas as to what cause this to run this way will be greatly appreciated. I also triple check the tps location into the head everything matched up. the car starts its just but when you gas it runs like its missing. sorry for the long post I also check all the vacuum lines they are put back together since I took a picture before taking the engine apart.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
the car is running the white smoke is from the left over water from the bhg anyway my car is throwing a code now of 31 which if air flow meter. Will this be a symptom of my car running idling bad or it throws that code because I have a leak somewhere between the fam and the throttle body? Any suggestions or help will be helpful. I ordered the spark plug wires just to see if there's any difference with the way the car runs. Anyway, I will probably get a used afm or upgrade to a lex afm if i can find one. Thanks

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
31 Air Flow Meter Signal
Diagnosis
* (7M-GTE) Open or short circuit in air flow meter signal.

Trouble Area:
* Air flow meter circuit
* Air flow meter
* ECU

Check the connector to the afm. make sure all teh wires are seated properly, and the plug is securely attached to the afm.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Code 31 will make your car run bad. Recheck all clamps on the intercooler pipes and make sure you DO NOT use carb cleaner on the AFM electronics.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
I checked my high tension cord aka spark plug wires 2 of them came up with 2.89 k ohms the other four was 0 ohms am I supposed to have ohm readings on these sparkplug I read the tsrm it said never to exit 25 kilo ohms but nothing in regards to it being 0 anyway, i'm replacing the wires its on order hopefully that will solve my problem. will double check all the ignition stuff. If any of you guys have this type of problem or did this type of checking of you spark plug wires your input is greatly appreciated

thanks