New guy needs a little help

SupraDave87

May 5, 2010
Glendale CA 91204
Hi guys, I'm pretty sure I blew my head gasket, it was a 1.2 mm hks steel head gasket that I had put in 4 months ago, then the knock sensor tripped and iddled at 1400 rpms for a while till it warmed then dropped to 1100. It never overheated, though I did drive it kinda rough after only 75 miles. I only took it to 4,500 rpms at stock boost but I'm sure I should've driven it like an old school caddy. and I never really drove it hard for long not even 1/4 miles. but what ever I still fucked up I know I did.

I wanna know if I should go with a different head gasket this time around and what should I do afterwards? Also, what I should do while the head is off, like checking for ..... whatever. Any advice would be well appreciated!!!!

It's an 87 turbo 5-speed targa, it has a custom cold air intake, 3' down pipe to muffler, rebuilt/upgraded ct-26 from driftmotion .57 trim with steel braded oil lines, 2.5' horsepower freaks intercooler and piping, turbo xs bov, manual boost controller, autometer vacuum and boost guage, Arp head studs, and of course the blown 1.2mm steel hg.

I was driving it home one night, and was trying to brake boost, and noticed almost no power gain, tried it again and it seemed like I wasn't giving it more gas then before I started brake boosting, I eased off the gas and noticed one of the cylinders wasn't fireing and then all the smoke, (blue). No pop or sound came from the engine, imediate loss of power, and drove like shit. I started the next day to see what was going on and tried to drive it, it wouldn't let me go past 2700prms it would cut out then iddle then climb to 2700 and cut again (while foot on peddle). So I parked it and looked around.

The condition/symptoms of my supra is as follows: #6 piston and maybe other(s) not fireing, it burning lots of oil, white smoke from oil fill cap, blue from the exhaust, while cap is off and I rev it a little it shoots out puffs of white smoke, oil low NOW wasn't before, I found a little coolant and oil leaking, coolant from the front, and oil on the exhaust side. Also oil in the intercooler pipes, and oil had shot out the dip stick channel, onto the hood heat shield, not more than a tea spoon.

The 7mgte was running fine before I replaced the head gasket, after that it iddled @1400 and the engine light came on when they started it, it is code 52 knock sensor. I'm pretty sure it was my neglagence that fucked up my car. :cry: Also to blame might be my decision to use 87 octaine gas in it.

If any of you guys could give me some tips or help/advice it would be paramount in my supras wellbeing and repair, I especially would be grateful. Thanks to all.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Buy a civic.

Ok, ok.
1. Did you prep the head and block surfaces for that HKS hg?
If not, you need to take both to a machine shop so they can get you a mirror finish. It's the only way that HG will seal. Might have been your original problem.

2. What kind of PCV system are you running? Is it all still plumb in stock fashion?

3. The oil leaks/ white smoke/ dipstick issue all point to either massive blow-by or blocked/ bad pcv system.

4. Oil in the IC pipes usually indicates a turbo seal failure. Check that.

SupraDave87

May 5, 2010
Glendale CA 91204
"Buy a civic"? NEVER!!!!!! I love Supras. I only like rear wheel drive cars, with turbos or big bore blocks.

I did have the head resurfaced, but the block was only cleaned by a flat edge razor and 2000 grit sand paper. I didn't have the money to pull out the block and have it taken to the shop and resurfaced.

PCV is stock. What's a "massive blow by"? besides what the phrase already says, where does it take place? block and pistons?
Oil seal failure, how do I check for that, and where can I get it fixed?

One day down the road I would really like to drop a 2jzgte in my supra, I'm going to save up about 6Gs before I get started with that little project.

Ok, so so far I have blown head gasket, fried piston ring, and turbo seal failure, as my list of alements for my supra. does that sound about right?

Last edited:

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
The reason you're throwing a code 52 could be because you ran 87 octane which would cause knocking. But normally code 52 means a short in the knock sensor wiring, look into doing the knock sensor rewire. Does the engine make any abnormal sounds? Do a compression check and leakdown check that will indicate if you have a blown headgasket, or if you blew the ring lands on your piston/s. But like the other guy said check your turbo and make sure you didn't blow a seal in it. How does the oil look? Is it milky thats a good indication of a blown headgasket. Use the search button to it works wonders.