new downpipe, test pipe and filter... still only sees 5-6psi...

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
Ok, Every turbo car I have ever owned I have seen increases in efficiency by removing cats, installing higher flowing downpipes, and higher flowing air filters etc...
The Supra doesnt appear to respond the same way.. heres the story-

89 Supra Turbo. Picked it up with a blown headgasket. Put in a new head, ARP studs, Trust Metal Headgasket and NA cams. Car ran great. 5-6psi strong.
A week later I burned through the O2 wires and the car wouldnt run.
so I replaced the O2 sensor and went ahead and put a K&N FIPK, BIC divorced downpipe, Test pipe and got rid of all the rest of the emissions crap. no EGR, etc.
The car feels a bit stronger, but not quite what I was expecting, and its also only boosting 5-6psi still. Ill be checking for boost leaks tomorrow, but wanted to check with you all to see if there is anything I should be considering.
Also, its still running the stock exhaust behind the test pipe, so there is a bit of a leak at that mating point, but still, the intake and downpipe alone should have been worth 1-2psi more or so plus quite a few more ponies than my butt dyno is registering.
any words of wisdom?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You could have a weak actuator, and the boost blows against the spring to easily. The HKS downpipe without the elbow made mine come on quicker, and a little higher. Stock is only 5-6 psi at best.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
You'll *typically* see a few psi being pushed out after doing modifications like that, but it's not mandatory to happen.

On the safe side, I'd spend a few minutes, perform a quick boost leak test, and go from there.

Going from a completely stock MA70 to Downpipe, Testpipe & Air Filter, (even without an aftermarket catback), you should still experience a NOTICABLE difference.

What did he just say? --:-- Check for boost leaks and a badly clogged stock catback. :)

-Jeff

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
As for shimming the wastegate I dont want to go upping the boost artificially just yet. I want to be sure the car is running as strong as possible efore going that route simply because the maintenance history is a little questionable (read: idiot PO)

MKIIIMan089, the roblem is that even running the stock catback, Ive increased efficiency and decreased restriction. Therefore I should be seeing 1-2psi more and a noticable difference in power. As of right now, all I notice is quicker spool, but no real difference in peak power, and absolutely no change in boost pressure.

See, Im not one of those people who says its not making enough power... up the boost. Im one of those guys that says lets make sure everything is right, and proper and THEN boost it up. cat was clogged, downpipe was leaking so I upgraded as I went along. I have a 60-1 sitting therewaiting to go on, but I wantit to be right first.

BoostLee, Im checking for boostleaks this afternoon, Ill post what I find here this evening.
I will also check the wastegate spring and check to see if its all on there properly.
Thanks for the posts guys, sometimes it helps to have some other viewpoints.

Also, I put on a braided P/S hose from Driftmotion... good stuff. Only beef is the ends are aluminum instead of steel, but overall Im pleased.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm sorry:

But your stock part of the exhaust doesn't flow evenly with your BIC DDP.

Sounds like I'm going to have to take it off of your hands. :icon_conf

:biglaugh:

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
Boost Lee said:
I'm sorry:

But your stock part of the exhaust doesn't flow evenly with your BIC DDP.

Sounds like I'm going to have to take it off of your hands. :icon_conf

:biglaugh:

Well, I drove the piss out of it today and also checked all the boost hoses, no issues that I can find.
Ill be replacing all the vacuum hoses this week and Im gonna try to find a 3" cat back I can pick up try to aleve the one bottleneck in the system and fix that one exhaust leak (even though its way behind the turbo). If that works Ill be trowing on the 60-1 and some hardpipes. :)
and hey, anything is for sale for the right amount...

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
here she is by the way...
l_3a560a021ce33cad6877c12d4da9a186.jpg

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
Nick M said:
Get one of these.

HKS%20exhaust.JPG

WHAT IS THAT?!?!?!?!
Ive been thinking about making a 3" with a dual tip straight through muffler, but theyre hard to come by. If someone already makes one Im all over that.

oh boostlee, Ive seen your car around Greenwood, but Im usually driving my Xb so theres no point in waving.

Oh, the wheels are Works, 9.5" on back. :)

ArmandoP

Supramania Contributor
Nov 4, 2006
Indianoplace
Boost Lee said:
xB. :rolleyes:

Well do wave and I'll know it's you. ;)

Don't daily drive the Supra, eh?

Yeah, I own a security company and I need the room and economy to haul a bunch of cable and security cameras around. Dirt slow, plenty of room and 35mpg makes me happy for a daily. The slow, funky gas mizer helps fund the Supra habit.

I learned years ago the problems with modifying my daily driver.
"Boom tink tink tink. shit, how am I gonna work tomorrow?"