New Clutch Fan

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Well, I finally opened the hood on the supra and notice some oil residue around the fan and the clutch seemed to slip easily, so figure its time for to replace it.

But now where to get a replacement? From an autoparts store (Advanced/Autozone), or should I spend the extra $100 for the dealer one?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
jetjock;1338761 said:
Assuming the bearing is OK for 5 bux you can rebuild/refill it...

That's very good to know since I haven't needed to replace the fan clutch yet.

Any part numbers or anything for gaskets... And what type of fluid?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
jetjock;1338761 said:
Assuming the bearing is OK for 5 bux you can rebuild/refill it...

anymore info on this? I have a spare clutch sitting on my 7m in the garage and can attempt to rebuild that one.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Use the same gasket (O ring) that's already in there. Fluid is 50 ml of 3000 cst silicone. You can get raped by Toyota (p/n escapes me at the moment) or you can go to the local hobby store/ebay and buy it for cheap. Used in RC car diffs and comes in just the amount needed. Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mugen-Silicone-...s?hash=item413c1e65fb&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Remove clutch from fan, check bearing. If bearing is bad you're screwed. If OK mark then split the cases, drain old oil, refill with 50 ml, and reassemble. Adding a capful of acetone or lacquer thinner will swell the shaft seal and stop leaks but that's rarely needed.

My clutch is original (22 years old) and has been refilled once. Still works perfectly...