New 89 N/A, weird shake/shutter problem

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, I just bought this car a few days ago.. and here's the back story

The guy said the #6 wrist pin was making noise, which it is, doesn't bother me i'll fix it later or when it breaks.

He said he just had a clutch put in, but did NOT have the flywheel resurfaced.. (why, i have no effin clue) but he said he put in a single disc clutch..

Problem is.. is that it feels like a 6 puck, the way it shutters/shakes when you first pull out or downshift with a load..

Could this be a flywheel problem? Or is it maybe the twisted driveshaft that's mentioned a lot because of the tube on the 2nd piece or whatever I read lol..

Also.. Say you're pushing it a little in 2nd gear, if you push the clutch in, when all the pressure releases it makes a cling noise from the rearend.. Sounds like maybe a U-joint issue?

My other car is an 88 Turbo'd Supra.. Im new to the N/A and just wondering if some of these are common problems..

Last thing.. are the driveshafts the same for turbo and non? dimension-wise I mean, i'd like to get a 1 piece either way because.. wtf carrier bearing.

Thanks for the help :)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Driveshafts are different. Could be the flywheel that is chattering, depending on how bad it is. As far as the noise, I haven't figured that one out yet. Mine did it with the stock d.s., and does it with a one piece as well. Checked gear lash, pinion, bearings, everything, and haven't quite figured it out. I swapped from the 4.3 lsd to the open diff, and still does it, after checking out this one as well. All the hanger bolts are torqued as well.

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm.. great to know.. that I'll never figure that sound out lol.. Thanks for the info.. i might just take the tranny off and replace the clutch parts and get the flywheel done.. hopefully that's the shutter im getting