New 5th gear for the R154 - how about a taller overdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Don't think I'll be able to do that. I might talk to Aaron and see what DM might be down for, though!

BTW, going to do some runs tomorrow. Finally overhaulin' the Ion for Laura.

Ohhhhhh she's gonna be happy with me when I bring it back to her tomorrow eve :D

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
My impression of this transmission:

Tight, like spandex.

The car DOES NOT bog even with my 62-1 T4 turbo. I also think a lot of people that posted up about bogging don't even know what it is, especially CT owners. The car runs 70MPH speedo verified at ~2250-2300RPM (GPS verified coming tomorrow). I've done one pull into 5th with no problems but more testing will be done to reassure this testing.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I got to drive the car yesterday, and damn it feels good! With the transmission blueprinted, you can't just 'wander' into gear - you've got to go left, then straight up or you won't engage 1st gear, for instance!

The transmission feels really nice. I'd guestimate 150 miles or so on it, and as the miles add up, the transmission is getting smoother and smoother. I just drove normally through stop and go traffic. Shifting around 2500-2600 rpm in each gear and everything feels great.

Also just got my confirmation email - the first 5th gear sets will be en route to me this afternoon. Hopefully, I have them before this weekend so I can get them out for cryo treatment!

We've had zero problems with the new 5th gear so far. I can't wait to go get some GPS verified readings (we spent all yesterday afternoon/evening doing MASSIVE work on the Ion Redline for Laura)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I missed the mention of which rear end this was being tested on- a 3.73?
If so, a 2400rpm @70mph would translate to roughly what w/ a 3.89 rear?
Nice work by the way guys.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep, Jeff's sporting a 3.73 rear gear. I've got a 3.91, and I honestly feel this 5th gear is perfect with it.

Those of you sport 4.10s and 4.30s will finally get your gas mileage back :)

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Your taller overdrive gear could have a lot more applications beyond the R154. I'm sure the Jeep\Toyota truck V6\V8 conversion crowd would like to have one as well. In fact, if you couple this item with Marlins bearing plate and thrust washer, you'd have a gearbox that could be a less expensive alternative to the T56.

Greg

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Doward;1330306 said:
That's exactly why I did what I did :)

I've no problem if others want to jump in, but I will not be doing these in huge bulk, lol.

Why not? Contact marlin crawler and see if they'd be interested in buying some. They could resell them to off road guys and what not. I'm sure there are a couple people that might have a 571 or 529 gear set and only like 32" tires and would like a little better gearing on the highway. Make some $$$

Or if you dont have the capital to buy a large quantity, provide (or sell) them with the cad drawings and let them produce them.

Last edited:

Greg55_99

Apr 2, 2005
MA
Doward;1330374 said:
How about I just start small and get these out with more thorough testing, first? ;)

Also, if your test is a success, how about coming up with a taller first gear. Something in the two's..... V8 guys with high torque engines would love that.... Let's face it.. "If you build a better mousetrap.. the world will beat a path to your door..."

Greg

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Replacing 1st gear means making an entirely new countergear system - which means I may as well make all new gears, but you're talking mega bucks at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.