-In the trunk

So I have to replace:
-spare tire panel
-left and right panel adjacent to the aforementioned panel
-The bar above the rear latch
-the hatch

Meaning my options are as following:
-Fork for the 2K in parts from toyota plus labor
Looked into getting really good aftermarket ones but no dice so far.

-Find a shell to hack
Been looking at craigslist. Most owners claimed that the car is rust free but when I go check out the car, no bueno.

-Get another shell altogether
Makes the most sense cost-wise but I don't want to scrap the chassis when the other panels are in very good condition. Want to replace the wiring harness with new ones from Toyota since the in car harness is stiff and a few connectors have snapped so far.

Whatever I'll buy will go to body shop to get inspected for rust and painted so I'm kinda at a standstill.

Car's been at the bodyshop for 2.5 months now.

Any advice?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Pretty common to have rust in spare tire area. And all around it once the tail light seals start leaking.

Better check with toyota to see if what you need is even still available.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Called the dealership today to find out the parts I wanted are discontinued. Anyone got shell in a front end collision or just lying around?

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
@ bluepearl
The trunk is the only problem. EVERYTHING else is peachy in the car. It wouldnt sit well with me to do so. If I cant find anything by September, I may have to do so.

Im looking into getting back halves from yards too. Hopefully I get lucky guys.

She's my first so I want her to be mint.

Thanks for the input guys!

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
rust is crazy. Im dealing with it right now, and Ive gone with the find a new shell. got lucky and found a good California car. I think any rust issue can be taken care of, might just cost a bit. There are very talented sheet metal workers out there with lots of different hammers that can form whatever piece you need.