Need some advice Rebuild or Swap

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Hi I am simi new to this forum. Let me start out with some background, My dads been a Mech for toyota/lexus for 20 odd years been working on cars with him my hole life(just maintanance and stock rebuilds etc. We have a 67 Chevelle project all motor:evil2:. Recently came accross a 90 supra NA. Its my DD but its got a little less than 200k on it, Needs a rebuild soon. Been doing lots of readings for NA-t wanted to stay NA but from what I read you cannot get much power out of a NA. My question is would it be better to go NA-t route rebuild engine with forged internals stand alone ect and piece together a turbo and IC or would it be easier to do a 1jz or 2jz swap? Ive looked around for a 7mgte but it would be just as much for a 1 or 2 jz in my area. Im really only looking for a reliable DD with 350-400 wrhp(gotta have a fun DD :naughty: ). Wondering what the best route would be without going over kill on $ but I dont mind as long as its done right.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
honestly, if you swap a 7mgte in there 350 hp on a stock ct26 is doable. on only 11 lbs i was putting down 310 rwhp and 337tqr.

this was with a Maft pro piggy back computer, 272 cams, full 3"exhaust, other bolt on upgrades..
now ive gone to bigger things, but i definitely think a 7mgte will get you where you want to go and be the cheapest route

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
Using a jdm motor with out rebuilding is a roll of the dice. Building a 7m yourself you would know what you have. Choice is yours.

I was super picky about the front clip and motor set i bought i did a compression test, and picked a motor with toyota oem oil and air filters. After doing oil pump, timing and serp belts, gaskets, seals, and my swap. I was greeted with blown turbo seals on my first start up.

Last edited:

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
scottiedawg66;1981302 said:
Using a jdm motor with out rebuilding is a roll of the dice. Building a 7m yourself you would know what you have. Choice is yours.
I'm with this guy. I could have bought a 1jz for what i spent on my 7m rebuild but knowing the 7m was built correctly makes it all worth it.

leftynridge

Aug 30, 2009
dayton, ohio
To do forged internals on any of these set ups would cost money. If I'm reading correctly your saying you can get a 2j for the same cost as a 1j and 7m . Honestly if that's the case I would go with a 2j. 350-400hp isn't a problem with any of those setups but with a 2j your working with newer technology and newer electronics. All of your 7m stuff used are at least 20 years old.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Thanks for all the replies my clutch master went out so I was figuring that out lol, the only reason I was thinking a rebuild is because I would know it would be good and if I went with forged internals I know it would last like scottiedawg66 and ATMPreformance said. Would I need to swap my w58 to an r154 for my power goals? I also figure it would be cheaper/easier to just rebuild my 7mge for boost and buy a better than the stock ct turbo and run AEM I don't like piggy backs lol but I don't know if my ge electronics would work or what all I would need from the gte. I don't want to do a 7mgte swap bc the engine cost as much as a 1j w/154 or a 2j w/o a tranny. Either way I go tho sounds like a rebuild would be a must.

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Thanks for all the replies my clutch master went out so I was figuring that out lol, the only reason I was thinking a rebuild is because I would know it would be good and if I went with forged internals I know it would last like scottiedawg66 and ATMPreformance said. Would I need to swap my w58 to an r154 for my power goals? I also figure it would be cheaper/easier to just rebuild my 7mge for boost and buy a better than the stock ct turbo and run AEM I don't like piggy backs lol but I don't know if my ge electronics would work or what all I would need from the gte. I don't want to do a 7mgte swap bc the engine cost as much as a 1j w/154 or a 2j w/o a tranny. Either way I go tho sounds like a rebuild would be a must.