Need more help with electrical system

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
The situation: I'm still having trouble starting my car when it's warm. I've recently conducted a test where I drove the the car for about a half hour and brought it home and turned it off them immediately tried to start it. All I got was a click. I got my other car and hooked up the jumper cables and the Supra imediately started up. So I drove the car again for another 15 minutes and came home then tried to start it, again all I got was a click. I let the car cool for about 15 minutes, tried it again and the car started right up.

I have cleaned my posts on the battery (which is only 6 months old) and replaced the cable going from the battery to the starter (btw, the starter is less than a year old). What's going on here? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

supra90mkiii

Apr 2, 2005
Racine, WI
Where do you hear the click coming from? Wasn't there something in the glovebox area that goes bad? That sounds familiar. I'm sorry this is so vague.

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
supra90mkiii;1041622 said:
Where do you hear the click coming from? Wasn't there something in the glovebox area that goes bad? That sounds familiar. I'm sorry this is so vague.

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I already replaced that module and it does click.

cml61386;1041628 said:
Do you have a good ground? Does the negative battery cable have a good and proper ground?

As far as I can tell, yes. I cleaned the ground terminal and replaced the wire a few weeks ago.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
GROUNDS

I had issues with all of that until I replaced the battery (was leaking :aigo: ), and the wire/connectors that went to the battery.

Aftermarket replacement connectors are garbage and don't get a good enough connection. I got the set of ones that are bonded to the wires, and bolted the ends to the old wires (Intalled new ends with solder and crimp).

The reasoning for this is that heat causes resistance, and resistance causes heat. Hot engine = too much resistance, as you try to use the starter, the resistance gets worse from the heat.

Hope that helps

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Poodles;1042049 said:
GROUNDS

I had issues with all of that until I replaced the battery (was leaking :aigo: ), and the wire/connectors that went to the battery.

Aftermarket replacement connectors are garbage and don't get a good enough connection. I got the set of ones that are bonded to the wires, and bolted the ends to the old wires (Intalled new ends with solder and crimp).

The reasoning for this is that heat causes resistance, and resistance causes heat. Hot engine = too much resistance, as you try to use the starter, the resistance gets worse from the heat.

Hope that helps

I'll take another look at that. It's a cheap solution and at this point I'm open to anything.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Sounds to me like a sulfated battery. When you discharge a battery, the lead and lead sponge trade parts. The sulfuric acid is a medium. You get PBSO4, or lead sulfate as a result. The byproduct is electricity, so that is ok.

When a battery goes bad, that lead sulfate can harden, making the reverse process from your alternator difficult or impossible. So you end up with a discharged battery. When you get it jumped, you run on the alternator. But you will still need to jump it.

Unless your cables are loose, and the jumper cables only tighten the loose ends.

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Nick M;1043447 said:
Sounds to me like a sulfated battery. When you discharge a battery, the lead and lead sponge trade parts. The sulfuric acid is a medium. You get PBSO4, or lead sulfate as a result. The byproduct is electricity, so that is ok.

When a battery goes bad, that lead sulfate can harden, making the reverse process from your alternator difficult or impossible. So you end up with a discharged battery. When you get it jumped, you run on the alternator. But you will still need to jump it.

Unless your cables are loose, and the jumper cables only tighten the loose ends.

suprashy;1044283 said:
How about switching batteries with your other car?

I've just tested my car with a battery I borrowed from my brother car. He had a yellow top optima that was less than 3 months old. The results are the same. I still have not changed the ground cable yet, so I still have a few things to check.

Last edited: