need help!

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
My Supra has nearly drove me crazy. I have an 87 w/ auto tranny. I've had it for sometime now and still have not got to drive it because the freakin thing won't work! I put a remanufactured engine in it that nearly broke me ($$$). I've had the tranny rebuilt, fuel tank relined, new Walbro fuel pump, new tranny cooling lines, new radiator etc... Pretty much, I've put a lot of time and money in this car and it still will not start!!! At first, I wasn't getting spark. I replaced the ignitor and got spark. Then, I found that I had a bad fuel pump. So, I buy and install a fuel pump and filter. I do a diagnostic and the pump is working. I turn on the ignition and the pump turns on and fuel started coming out around a fuel injector. I forgot to replace the O-rings when I installed the engine so I take out the fuel rail and put new o-rings on. I did find that one of the injectors is showing too high of a resistance on an ohm meter according to the shop manual. Anyway, I get everything back in and fuel pump is working and no leaks. BUT it still will not start! I'm almost ready just to give up and sell it for whatever I can get cause I'm getting very frustrated with this car. I have driven these cars before and I LOVE them, but this car is killing me.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Have you checked the timing marks on the cam gears and crank pulley are were they are suppose to be, #1 on TDC and the rotor pointing at #1 spark plug wire?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Have you checked that you plugged EVERYTHING back in correctly? injectors, AFM, other sensors that you could have removed? car won't run without that AFM connected.

Did you put all the sparkplug wires in the correct sequence? I put mine on wrong once and I was paying attention too! or so i thought... it barely ran.

check your fuses too?

If i didn't find anything obvious, I would pull a sparkplug after cranking to see if it's getting any fuel (yeah the fuel pump is working but are the injectors?)

I dunno if an unplugged injector could do this but maybe.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
you dont have any funny aftermarket alarm system do you? it'd be funny if you did and the ECU just wasn't getting power because it thought you were stealing it.

I missed the fact you mentioned the injector with a high resistance reading, I was in a hurry and your paragraph was a daunting lump. was it just one funny injector or all 6?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Figit090;1148488 said:
your paragraph was a daunting lump

No shit...

Salomon68, one word: Paragraphs. The easier your posts are to read the easier it is for us to help.

salomon68

welkin
Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
yeah, sorry about that CRE.

It's just that one injector. A mechanic friend of mine said that one injector shouldn't stop it from running. That it won't run well, but it should at least start or try to start.

When the engine turns over, the engine doesn't sound like it's even trying to start. No backfires, nothin.

I don't have any after-market alarmsystems on it. It does have the original one though.

Would the vacuum hoses cause this?
There's a couple of open ends in the vacuum system.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
One injector that's not firing or otherwise damaged won't prevent the engine from running, although you shouldn't run the engine with known fueling issues... you can cause major damage. Is the plug end of the injector with the high resistance the same color as the others? pre89 MKIIIs should be yellow, 89 and later should be green.

Loose vacuum lines won't cause the car to not run either.

Does the engine turn over at all when you turn the key or is it that the starter isn't moving at all?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm making a note in my calendar to check back in four more.

Sometimes the drama just can't unfold nearly fast enough... you know?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CRE;1830409 said:
I'm making a note in my calendar to check back in four more.

Sometimes the drama just can't unfold nearly fast enough... you know?

Look who strolled through! Alright, so you post for the first time in like... a year; then I look back and I was the last to post in this thread until someone brought it back from the dead.... and my post was on my birthday. I'm pretty sure that means we're like Blues Brothers or Soul Sisters or a Dynamic Duo of ..... ok yeah things got weird.

See ya in another 12 months... ;)

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
suprarx7nut;1830459 said:
Look who strolled through! Alright, so you post for the first time in like... a year; then I look back and I was the last to post in this thread until someone brought it back from the dead.... and my post was on my birthday. I'm pretty sure that means we're like Blues Brothers or Soul Sisters or a Dynamic Duo of ..... ok yeah things got weird.

See ya in another 12 months... ;)

Nah..he's just trolling :)