Need help with wiring information 98 2JZGE VVTI from supra into 87 mk3 supra

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
okay I have, 2jzge vvti from a 98 supra super low mileage, full swap with ecu and harness + exhaust manifolds and downpipe with cat. I want to put it in a 1987 supra I yanked the 7mgte, and now I can't find any info on the wiring. Does anyone know of a write up if one exists?

Also does anyone know if the 98 supra ecu needs a transponder for the key to start? i hope It doesnt

Last edited:

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
has anyone not done the swap on their own? If I figure this out I will make a write up as I don't believe you should be paying some jackass wiring shop $900 and waiting a few weeks to get it done.. Plenty of wiring write ups are available in the 240sx community its a shame everyone is trying to make coin off this in the supra world.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If you want a 100% professional job, nothing beats a wiring shop.. If you want a half assed, fire hazard of a job.. Then go ahead, get your soldering iron and crimpers out.

Otherwise run 7m electronics and be fine.

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
Backlash2032;1806125 said:
If you want a 100% professional job, nothing beats a wiring shop.. If you want a half assed, fire hazard of a job.. Then go ahead, get your soldering iron and crimpers out.

Otherwise run 7m electronics and be fine.

no offense but that's a load of shit, you're not going to cause a fire by splicing a dash plug and maybe tapping one start signal from the fuse box. You can do it clean if you take your time, I have lots of rubberized heat shrink as well as spools of wiring loom me and my friend did a really clean job wiring an rb nissan harness into a 240sx and were also doing an sr20 s14 wiring harness rite now. The only advantage of paying a shop to do the harness is knowing that it will be a turn key swap and should fire up on the first start. In regards to using the 7m electronics, the 7m cps will not fit the 2jz vvti and there is a reason toyota switched the electronics on the 2jz the 7m stuff is outdated crap from the 80's. If I didn't have the 2j harness and ecu i would maybe jerry rig it for a temporary solution but it seems like it would be more of a headache then splicing a few plugs for the 2j harness.

I really do hope I can make a write up for this swap and help save fellow enthusiats money. DR tweak wants about 7-8hrs labor at $90 an hour + afew weeks and i have to pay shipping cost that could buy me a 1jz bellhousing and clutch with the moeny saved.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
AquaX;1806308 said:
no offense but that's a load of shit, you're not going to cause a fire by splicing a dash plug and maybe tapping one start signal from the fuse box. You can do it clean if you take your time, I have lots of rubberized heat shrink as well as spools of wiring loom me and my friend did a really clean job wiring an rb nissan harness into a 240sx and were also doing an sr20 s14 wiring harness rite now. The only advantage of paying a shop to do the harness is knowing that it will be a turn key swap and should fire up on the first start. In regards to using the 7m electronics, the 7m cps will not fit the 2jz vvti and there is a reason toyota switched the electronics on the 2jz the 7m stuff is outdated crap from the 80's. If I didn't have the 2j harness and ecu i would maybe jerry rig it for a temporary solution but it seems like it would be more of a headache then splicing a few plugs for the 2j harness.

I really do hope I can make a write up for this swap and help save fellow enthusiats money. DR tweak wants about 7-8hrs labor at $90 an hour + afew weeks and i have to pay shipping cost that could buy me a 1jz bellhousing and clutch with the moeny saved.

Most of the F&F crazed people who buy supras because they were in the film, and then want "2JZ no shit" will find a way.

And you CAN run a 2JZ on 7M electronics..

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
Backlash2032;1806366 said:
Most of the F&F crazed people who buy supras because they were in the film, and then want "2JZ no shit" will find a way.

And you CAN run a 2JZ on 7M electronics..

I didn't say you can't, I said you cant run a VVTI motor off 7m electronic as the 7m cps will not fit the vvti head. If I wanted to do that I would need a 93 sc300 head. A wise supra tuner told me this "running a 2jz off 7m electronics is the equivalent to powering a space shuttle with coal."

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
Why in the HELL would you want to run a 2J off of 7M electronics?! Just because you can does not mean it needs to be done. An example would be running a full race built 2J on a stock CT-26 - Doable but completely pointless