Need help with steering column

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
As part of my Chump Car build, I need to remove the steering wheel "lock". I would also like to install a steering wheel quick release. Yesterday I pulled the OEM steering wheel, the horn ring, and the electric controls plate........and that's as far as I got. Looking at it, it's not intuitive as to what needs to come off. I had wanted to save the current ignition switch to use as a starter switch with the key, but if I need to replace it with a toggle switch and a momentary starting switch then that's OK, but I have to get rid of that steering wheel lock.

Anybody done this? Or have ideas as to how to disassemble the upper steering column?

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I finally figured out how to remove the steering wheel lock, luckily without having to disassemble the steering column. It was actually pretty simple to do, once I figured out how it worked. The parts are NOT shown in any of the manuals I have; I guess they don't want people doing this, but it is required by racing organizations. I managed to keep the keyed ignition switch operational.

Now, on to fitting a quick release steering wheel.....................