Need Help w/ Door Lock, Power Window Problem

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Hello everyone. New to this forum and generally new to the Supra world and I could use a little help with a weird problem. First off, the car is an 87 Base Supra 5spd w/ Sport Package and just over 52,000 original miles. Now on to the issue which just started suddenly (no warning signs). If the passenger side door is open the power door locks will cycle normally and the power windows will roll up and down, but at a slower speed than before all this started. If the passenger side door is closed, the power windows will not work at all (from any switch). When you press the power door lock button (driver or passenger), all you hear is a click or buzz coming from about where the drivers side speaker is on the door, but the locks do not cycle.

Has anyone else run into this problem before? I hope someone can help me out here. FYI I don't have a multi-meter and even if I did, I don't really know how to use one; though I'm sure I could figure it out if it becomes absolutely necessary. Thanks for the help.

bestsupraever

Nov 14, 2015
Florida
Hi, without a mm or the basic knowledge to use it, you are sort of working blind. But the things you can check are the connections. Take the door switches off and look for corroded or loose connections. Also follow the wire bundle especially where it goes through the rubber shield between the door and frame of car. Wires have been known to be pinched or broken in that area, inside the rubber shield. Check grounds.
Good luck. Semper fi

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Slight correction to make. It turns out that both doors need to be open for the locks and windows to function. Also when the doors are open the windows seem to move at a normal speed (I think I was just tired the other night). It doesn't seem to matter how far the doors are open, just that they are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Get out the EWD component locator and shine a flashlight on the integration relay and look at it for obvious physical issues.

May 17, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Problem solved. Unlocked the car this morning, opened the door and the alarm went off. I thought "that's weird". It's never happened before. Tried to start the car and nothing happened. No clicks or noises of any kind. Voltmeter showed 12v. Began looking for blown fuses. Didn't find any. In the process I pulled the "HEAD" relay in the engine compartment (near the battery) and plugged it back in. Wouldn't you know it, the car started right up and the locks/windows are working fine now. Gotta be thankful for dumb luck sometimes. Thanks to those who responded.

***UPDATE****
The above solution only ended up being a coincidence. My problem returned a couple of days later. I finally had some free time to look into the problem further and I found the actual source of the issue. As it turns out, 1 of the 2 connections from the door harness was loose where it plugs into near the driver's side kick panel fuse box. If you just looked at it you couldn't even tell. I took that kick panel off entirely and was just looking for a broken wire or something obvious and I moved it just enough for everything to work and that's how I found the loose plug. I carefully bent the locking tab on the connector out a little so it would "hopefully" hold in place and firmly plugged it back it. I'm very happy to have my door locks and windows working properly again.

On to the next item to be fixed - seat belt retractors.

Last edited: