need help possibly bad thowout bearing

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
i just finished in stalling my five speed (w58) and everything worked fine for a couple of days, but after the fourth or fifth day i started hearing a squeaking noise from the trans i didnt really think about it. but later that day it started to make a crunching noise when the clutch was engaged but the noise would go away when i pushed the clutch pedal in. last night it wouldnt go into gear some times.

my friend told me it was possibly the thowout bearing but he wasnt sure.

thanks

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
So what exactly is the problem right now, it wont ever go into gear? Only goes in gear sometimes? If so, does it make noise when in gear/when does the noise go away?

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
right now its very hard to get onto gear and when it does it sounds like it is only half way in gear.

i forgot to mention this but every once in a while it felt like the clutch pedal was getting hung up, but i checked everything to make sure it wasnt and that it was bled properly.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Are you sure the clutch plate was put on right? The springs face towards the tranny I think, if it was new it should have had a marking on it to say "flywheel side" or something to that effect.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I had the almost the same thing happen to me and it ended up being there wasn't enough fluid in the master, the little float thing in there looked like it still had fluid but there wasn't. So if you are sure that you blead it right are you sure the fluid level is ok? If so try bleeding it again, see if that makes a difference. Also check and see if your carpet is wet where the plunger goes thru the firewall, if so you need a new master.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
ok i checked the fluid it is full and there is none on the carpet or anywhere else.
i will bleed it tomorrow, whats the way you bleed your i want to make sure im doing it right.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris1039;1107427 said:
ok i checked the fluid it is full and there is none on the carpet or anywhere else.
i will bleed it tomorrow, whats the way you bleed your i want to make sure im doing it right.
About the same as bleeding brakes. Have someone pump the clutch pedal, then hold pressure on it, open the bleeder screw a little to let out the air, do not release the pedal until the screw is closed, and repeat. Make sure you don't run out of fluid or you'll have to do it again.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
ok good i was doing it right.

the only thing that i can think of is i think i forgot to grease the input shaft. and the throwout bearing i got with the kit looked poorly made.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
have someone look at the slave while you actuate the pedal and make sure its actually moving the clutch fork, sure sounds like the clutch isnt disengaging all the way

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
i will i was thinking if i didnt but any grease on the input shaft is it possible that the throwout bearing is getting hot and getting hungup on it.

im going to sleep im starting to come up with weird ideas of what could be wrong.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The throwout bearing doesnt touch the input shaft at all, and the only reason youre supposed to put grease on there is so the clutch disk can slide on the shaft a little bit

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
ok i pulled the trans and somehow even after using loctite my flywheel was loose.

i have another question and that is how much clearance is there normally between the rivets and the top of the disc one of the rivets is sitting a little higher than the rest