Need help installing Infinity Reference speakers

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I need help installing Infinity Reference series speakers, the screw holes don't line up with the factory mount do you have to make a mount or drill it into the door frame? I tried lining up the adapter piece that it comes with and it doesn't line up either. Do I have to get rid of the factory mounting piece or something?

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I am sorry but why do you guys need pictures? I am sure some people here have installed Infinity Reference series speakers before because they were recommended on here and the screw holes just don't line up. I just need some ideas on how to mount these.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
maybe you got a size too big?

edit: probably could just take a square piece of metal and drill two holes to make your own bracket.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Pictures help sometimes, but not as much as being there. The holes don't always have to line up perfectly for them to work. On a set of Polks I installed into my car at one point or another, I had to snip the outer edge of the screw hole on the mounting bracket on the speaker.They were just a *tiny* bit off, not a big deal. Good luck figuring something out, just use your imagination and common sense and you'll be fine. :)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
they are also 6.5" which is what my 91 has in the front, it fits in perfectly but the holes don't line up is all. I thought about making little brackets that bolt into the factory holes and attach to the speaker holes.

I would love to give you guys some pictures but I do not like removing door panels often for the fear of them not fitting correctly or it becomes loose. Oh by the way, do you guys have any ideas on how I can tighten my window track? The window on my car likes to wiggle around mostly forward and backward.

Last edited:

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Considering the staggering amount of details in the first post, I figured a picture would be easiest. You realize you didn't say what size speakers or location and you just want us to throw darts in the dark. Good luck

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
*slaps forehead* I am sorry about that lol they are 6.5" in the front but that is useless info now since I got one installed on the driver side it took so long because I ended up having to cut the mounting slots on the speaker a little bit to use the screws with a washer, cut out a chunk of plastic on the factory mount to let the speaker move, and I had to trim the piece of the metal that sits around the speaker on the door panel with a dremel. End result is great it all fits well I will try to remember to take pics when I do the passenger side.

I do apologize for the vagueness and lack of info I tend to forget details like that when I am trying to figure out the problem while making a post or thread. On a side note the speaker sounds fantastic lol.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Haha ok glad you figured it out. Some 6.5" speakers are listed as oversized and actually 6.75" so a little trimming is needed to squeeze them in.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
lol actually the mounting holes on the speakers were a bit short that is why I had to cut off a little bit and use a washer with the screws to hold them in place. The reason why I had to trim the plastic factory mount was because of the support for the speaker the metal support bends at like 60 degree angle or something, so it sticks out a little bit and hits the plastic mount.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Told ya you'd figure it out. As for the window movement, mine is that way, my old one and my Mk2 were/are not. I know the current Mk3 is kinda a mess, I just figured that was how it was with some of them. Have you checked the TSRM yet? Not sure it would have anything on window adjustment, but I've found some rather interesting stuff I didn't expect in there too. ;)

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I have tried looking through the TSRM I have but it didn't help much with window adjustment but on that note I think the problem is the weather stripping that runs along the pillar where the window slides up into.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
I have Infinity Reference Series speakers in my 89. All four are 4" though. Mine lined up fine, although I was told the rears were 5" or 6.5" (I dont remember which they told me now).
Bought a set of 4" and a set of the larger ones. The rears didn't end up fitting so I bought another set of 4" and damm.. I was amazed at the sound of these things!
Everything is so crisp and precise, my only complaint was that there was absolutely 0 bass, no matter how I changed the EQ, bass levels, etc.
Problem solved though, because I got a pair of Infinity Reference Series 10" subs for free. So, made a box for a single 10' that would fit under my targa, hooked it up to an 1800watt amp, and there's my bass!
A little overkill on the amp, but hell, that thing blows out damn near anybodies 2 12"s. And it's not obnoxious at normal volumes.
For $100, I have no complaints about my 5 speaker Infinity system.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
You got rid of the factory mount? I modified my factory mount CRAP I completely forgot to take pics for y'all. Anyway how do you like the speakers? I am loving mine.