Need help in so cal!!!

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
I'm in the la/oc area. I turned up my boost controller to 15 lbs today and my car began to smoke and now it seems like it's mis firing pretty bad, I'm hoping it's just a bhg and not a fried piston from detonation. Can someone come look at my car or help give me input. I'm currently a student at uti and I'm still paying off my supra so I don't have money to take it to a shop.
You can text/call me or email 562.981.4741 jonrambo54@yahoo.com
Here's a list of my mods any help is greatly appreciated
ct26 57 trim turbo
upgraded fmic
greddy eo1 boost controller/piggyback ecu
3in custom exhaust, no cat
hks bov
hks hi power muffler
egr delete
arp head studs
there are more but those are off the top of my head.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
question: your going to U.I.T. can't they help ya? If you brought your car in then wouldn't you have a school prodject then for extra credit or after school ? Car's smoking? I'd say rings or may have burn't a piston yes more than likely detonation.... do a compression test.

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Koenigturbo;1581496 said:
question: your going to U.I.T. can't they help ya? If you brought your car in then wouldn't you have a school prodject then for extra credit or after school ? Car's smoking? I'd say rings or may have burn't a piston yes more than likely detonation.... do a compression test.

No UTI, in cali doesn't do big jobs on student cars.... we can do alignments, oil, all that stuff but no hg replacements or anything to do with tearing down the motor! But ya, the car was smoking from the engine bay, the smoke was white, there are no leaks under the car just a horrible misfire feeling.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
White smoke? 90% sure it's a b.h.g. maybe some one else can chime in. But I pretty sure that's the deal. To bad about UTI When I went to Auto school, I could bring in a project, but It would have to be what they are teaching. Do a compression test along with a raditator leak down test.

Suggestion: If it were my car, I'd replace the E.G.R. you will eventualy get caught. Only suggestion.

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
The only diagnostic you could perform that would avoid the use of equipment of any sort, is to check the coolant and the oil. If the coolant looks like anything other than water with food colouring in it, and the oil doesn't look like motor oil, you've got a BHG. The oil may look like milkshake if things are bad, and the coolant can have a milky and/or oily residue mixed in. However, you can have neither of these symptoms and still have a BHG. If the combustion chamber is now leaking to the cooling jacket, you may not notice a colour change but there'll be a chemical change in the coolant due to combustion gasses. A pH test from a autoparts store will tell you what's up for that.

If you're blowing white smoke, chances are your coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. It'll kill your cooling system soon... so I would check it out man.

There's people who've had a BHG for unknown ammounts of time with no symptoms, and the car pulled like a rocketship... but they took apart their mill and lo and behold, the headgasket is swiss cheese.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Keros;1581785 said:
The only diagnostic you could perform that would avoid the use of equipment of any sort, is to check the coolant and the oil. If the coolant looks like anything other than water with food colouring in it, and the oil doesn't look like motor oil, you've got a BHG. The oil may look like milkshake if things are bad, and the coolant can have a milky and/or oily residue mixed in. However, you can have neither of these symptoms and still have a BHG. If the combustion chamber is now leaking to the cooling jacket, you may not notice a colour change but there'll be a chemical change in the coolant due to combustion gasses. A pH test from a autoparts store will tell you what's up for that.

If you're blowing white smoke, chances are your coolant is getting into the combustion chamber. It'll kill your cooling system soon... so I would check it out man.

There's people who've had a BHG for unknown ammounts of time with no symptoms, and the car pulled like a rocketship... but they took apart their mill and lo and behold, the headgasket is swiss cheese.

Keros, I guess I forgot about just checking to see it theres oil in the water, good call....

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Ok well I did a compression test and here are the numbers.
These numbers are rounded off, I'm just going off the top of my head so they are not accurate, but good enough.
1. 120
2. 35
3. 120
4. 35-40
5. 120
6. 120
I compression tested my car about 2 weeks ago and all were 180 so I know the low comp is due to whatever happened on thursday.
I also drained my coolant and there was no oil in it. I'm going to finish taking off the head tomorow. Thanks for the replies and help. And any other input is always welcome.