need help identifying a single wire for the head unit area

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, you could look at the Radio and tape Player section of the TEWD You may also want to check the auto antenna and illumination sections as well as they also deal with wires going to the head unit. Is the connector still on it? That would go a long ways towards identifying it, since all of those are documented.

And sometimes, it might not be reasonable to expect an answer in 3 hours or less. Some of us have lives that don't revolve around SM, y'know. :D

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Unless the photo is wrong, that is a white wire with green tracer. The is "Illumination -12v"(note this is a negative line) it goes to the rheostat and controls the intensity of the interior illumination.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
ok well the previous owner of the car just did a chop job of the original connectors and just slapped the aftermarket connector right onto the wires so i didnt have an original connector, so got one from a junkyard and tried getting all the wires connected correctly to each corresponding color code, and ended up with that one wire, i guess ill have to find out what it is, and im sure its not the negative line because otherwise my dash wouldnt be lit

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Huh. What do you mean your dash wouldn't be lit? A 12v signal is sent along a green wire when the lights are turned on to the radio illumination circuit. The ground for that specific and isolated circuit goes back along the White/Green wire to the Light Control Rheostat, that introduces a variable resistance into the circuit to control lighting intensity. Prior to the rheostat all the lighting control circuits run parallel so do not interfere with each other.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=062
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=063

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
ok ok, i getcha, but heres the dilemma, i couldnt for the sake of me connect it to anything at all on the original harness, because there was no wire on the original harness with that color code

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah, I'm not sure the exact year it changed, but the early radios didn't have a variable illumination. It was on or off. So they didn't have that wire. Then the radio received an update and got that feature. At that point the wire was added and ran to the rheostat junction block. You must have gotten your connector from an earlier year.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
so in reality i really dont need the wire to connect to anything though because its not going to be used to dim anything but the stock head unit right?

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
well i was going to get an aftermarket one, later on, i just wanted to hook up the "original" wire harness in then buy an adapter

haha btw thanks and my car is an 88 turbo

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Ok yeah you should be fine then. Certain higher end models give you the ability to variably dim the head unit. One wire will be an orange wire and labeled as "Illumination 12+" the next wire will usually be orange with a white tracer(wire colors are typical but not the rule) and labeled as "Dim" or "Dimmer" you would connect that wire to the White/Green one you have there.

But most aftermarket headunits just have an "illumination" wire that simply lowers the intensity to one preset level when you turn the lights on. For those head units you won't have to worry about that wire.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Understandable, not everybody does. I do a lot of night driving outside of the city. I run my interior lights as low as possible while still being easily readable to help with night vision. Less light inside the cabin means less your eyes have to adjust when you look outside. That is why I have a love/hate relationship with my HKS turbo timer. That bastard is bright, so he sits in auto mode with a piece of electrical tape of his face most of the time. Really wish that thing had a dimmer function. Good luck getting your car back into fighting shape.