Need Help Diagnosing Head/Engine Noise (Video)

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Hey Guys, I'd like to ask if you could listen to my video recording of my 7M-GTE's new head noise and see if we can come to a consensus on what it might be. I need to flat-bed it a few hundred miles soon and I'm trying to get as much of the diagnosing out of the way before I put it up for winter and tear it apart again.

http://youtu.be/5G6-PVwlYvc

History:

Fall is here and so it's time for my supra to give me troubles once again. Last year a cracked up valve seat fell apart into my cylinder head after soaking what looked like a sticking lifter with Marvell Mystery Oil. I had to rebuild due to damage done to the piston/walls. The current engine was rebuilt this past spring and has approximately 6,000 miles and 4 oil changes on it before it started making this noise on my way to work a few weeks ago. I did not get into boost on my work trip, and the engine had not been pushed at all in days prior. One thing that did happen prior was my O2 sensor wires melted onto the turbo housing 80 miles from home and at night on deserted highway. The car seemed to continue to run fine on the highway and I did not notice the real issue until I came to a stop in the city, it was idling rough and when I turned on the wide band it was idling very lean. I have a Speed Density system with 680 CC injectors and a MAFTPRO. The turbo was not working at all due to a prior and unrelated incident resulting in a large boost leak in my intake piping. This was strangely a good thing as boosting under these circumstances could have lead to worse troubles, if I don't already have a bad enough issue at hand. My speed density system will run the car correctly regardless of boost leaks.

I purchased a new Denso O2 sensor and the next time I drove it this noise began about 5 miles into my city stop and go drive. I flat bedded the car home to avoid more damage. Thanks to anyone who can listen and give me some feedback.

Craig

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
You guys nailed it, EGR block off plate was loose. A tinny, hollow sound exactly. So glad that the 7M is healthy and I was just loosing my mind, the fact that this same thing happened last year and turned out to be an honest problem with a bad valve seat that trashed my motor really psyched me out again = )

thanks.