Need help concerning front suspension

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
So hey guys, I've got a little issue with my dad's 90 na and we'll as the title says, its about front suspension. I'll give you the low down. The car was about to be taken out for an alignment until I heard a rub on the right side. Turns out the wheel is further back on that side then on the driver side which is normal.
My problem here is that I can't find any differences from left to right as far as damage goes, and I only see a difference in distance from the center of the spindle to the mudguard side of the fender.

Any info please, need my dad's car to be back up and running asap.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
de5cc340d34e6ec6acddac5dab2d5c7c.jpg

"Damaged" side
aa2c371fb3230fa2af3cf709e8fb89d1.jpg

Normal side
(added effect to see difference)

Billybob9187

Mar 9, 2015
Stockton Ca
Do you hear a metal sound at all while driving or turning? Odds are your bushings are worn or even gone.... They sell kits to correct this just about everywhere and im sure your alignment shop has them to sell but I have always been a fan of replacing the bushings to make it feel new again.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
i never attempted to drive the car becaues it didnt seem safe. when i jacked the car up and took the wheels off i noticed only one thing wrong and that was that the caster bolt wasnt correct (PO used a camber cam and bolt for the caster,which doesnt work cuz the cam is too small). even with the caster pulled all the way out or pushed all the way in it didnt seem to correct it though (just measuring from fixed point to fixed point while moving rear of control arm back and forth).

What im guessing it might be is that the subframe got pushed back on that side because there was damage to that side from PO which wasnt mentioned, spindle is off of an abs car and my dads is none abs. no clue whats off but ill post pictures of the arms and everything

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
A bit hard to tell what exactly the extent of the issue/damage is from the picture but the upper control arm should not be cocked like that. I would say at a minimum your bushings are gone if not the mounts or something else more serious.

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
I'm just assuming this but I think when the PO got into the accident(i can tell because of bent front right bumper support wing, and spindle from an abs car), it pushed the upper arm in whilst bending the upper arm subframe mount in towards the frame

Tnice17

May 26, 2014
CT
I would start taking measurements from one side to another to solid chassis points. Something is bent most likely. Possible the lower control arm or the areas it bolts to on the subframe

MkiiiAllDay

Jul 19, 2013
orange, CA
ive looked over both lcas left and right and see no differences in them but when i get back from work ill take measurements with a set of calipers where the uca mounts to subframe to frame rail and so and so forth, ill post pics asap

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
I replaced my upper A-arm bolt not to long ago was not near that drastic but was also bent from PO incident.
Ended up having to cut the Top off the right hand side, Grab the part closest to the cabin with vice grips hammer it out a bit cut with a grinder and repeat.
My sub frame wasn't damaged or bent, you will have to inspect yours

oh and oil oh my lord lots of oil to help the pull through, It may look like only the exposed section is bent but through the bracket even the slightest bump is a nightmare.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^^^^the upper a-arm bolt feeds through from the front of the car, and there is barely mm of clearance when it is 90% removed. Pretty sure washer jug etc are in the way.

I'd be looking at the tabs for all the arms on the front subframe. Angles, paint stress, etc

The structure that holds that a arm bolt is super robust, so unlikely it's bent.

Maybe remove/inspect the nuts on that side of the front subframe to see how far any of the washers scrapped if they moved.