Need help. Alternator and Serpentine belt removal

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Is there any special way to relieve the tension off of the serpentine belt so that I can pull my alternator and have it tested? And do I need to time the motor before pulling the serpentine, I know that there are two separate belts.
I am running into dead ends working on my 1j and will admit I am not the most experienced supra guy. I am still getting no power into the car.
Any help is appreciated as I am having no luck searching for it.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
yes, look at the pulley that is almost dead center of your motor, that is your serp belt tensioner, use the correct size wrench or a socket with a long handled breaker bar or something. You want to attach it and push it from the direction of the drivers side to the pass side. So from right to left. Also if you find that your alternator is bad look into getting an alternator from a 1992-1994 Lexus SC300. A refurb is not only cheaper but it has a higher amp output then the factory 1J alternator and it's a direct drop in.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Thanks for the quick reply! I did notice I was able to get to budge somewhat so I will use my big breaker to rotate it. I have been flipping through the translated manuals to no avail!
Now for one quick sense of ease, that "yes" was not in relation to timing correct? Since the cams are on a separate belt? If not I just found how to time it so if I must at least I have instructions now...

Thanks again! I love this forum :)

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
ryan625;1933151 said:
Thanks for the quick reply! I did notice I was able to get to budge somewhat so I will use my big breaker to rotate it. I have been flipping through the translated manuals to no avail!
Now for one quick sense of ease, that "yes" was not in relation to timing correct? Since the cams are on a separate belt? If not I just found how to time it so if I must at least I have instructions now...

Thanks again! I love this forum :)

That is correct, the cams and crank are set up on the timing belt so you won't have any issues removing it and putting it back on. Just remember how the belt goes on or you'll have to do a search that shows how the belt goes on.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
I got it pulled and it tested good. I think it is time to start tracing back from the battery.
I did not do the swap personally, bought it already done so I am still familiarizing myself with the wiring...should be fun!

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
It is getting no power to anything. Gauges/cluster won't come on, motor doesn't turn over, no lights, nothing. The battery is charged, alternator/regulator is good, I can't figure it out. All the fuses in the panel are good, I am going to start testing for power before and after the fuse panel, switches, etc.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
From experience, one 1jz I had was installed with a large 100 amp inline fuse to the fuse box. It blew and had the same symptoms.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
str8_6;1933573 said:
From experience, one 1jz I had was installed with a large 100 amp inline fuse to the fuse box. It blew and had the same symptoms.

I will look for that next, thank you!

And yeah as far as I know the terminals are on correctly.

ryan625

Sep 20, 2012
Lynnwood
Well it fired up. I checked all the fuses, replaced one. I didnt track down the in line fuse but apparently that wasnt it.
I am not certain that the battery is getting charged while the car is running though. It was dead but that was definitely from sitting, we will see if it holds a charge this week