Need Exhaust Suggestions 7MGE

Melbinpop

Nov 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
alright well im looking to buy a new exhaust system because the idiot i bought the car from put a 3 1/2 inch straight piping exhaust system on. Im loosing Back Pressure and im looking for an exhaust system with more resistance, maybe even the stock one... so if you could please make some suggestions as to what to buy to create more resistance for back pressure. thank you

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Check out my supra thread link down bellow, I went with new 2 1/2" headers (6/2/1). 2 1/5" straight through exhaust system with one centre resonator and one muffler towards the rear, sounds amazing, it's tidy, not too loud/quiet and it's also improved the fuel consumption

EDIT: It's also got really good lower end torque around 2.5/3.0k revs

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
When I had my '89 NA I was running a full Pace Setter (Monza) exhaust. It had a similar design to ryansmith's. 2"/2.5"/3" in a 6/2/1 setup. Sounded perfect. Same low end torque curve, not intrusive, yet not quiet.

When you're handing a 4-banger it's lug nuts it sounds beautiful; more so when you let off the gas and let the torque wind it down, rev match on your downshift, and do it again. ^_^

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
SupraMaster;1869973 said:
When I had my '89 NA I was running a full Pace Setter (Monza) exhaust. It had a similar design to ryansmith's. 2"/2.5"/3" in a 6/2/1 setup. Sounded perfect. Same low end torque curve, not intrusive, yet not quiet.

When you're handing a 4-banger it's lug nuts it sounds beautiful; more so when you let off the gas and let the torque wind it down, rev match on your downshift, and do it again. ^_^

Glad to hear this since I just ordered that exact exhaust system and was a little worried about how it would sound. I can't argue with $240 shipped...lol.

And Poodles, agree with you 100%. In smaller diameter piping, the exhaust gases have a higher velocity and the inertia actually helps "pull" out the exhaust gases and pull in fresh air/fuel when the valves are on overlap. That effect is lost with piping that is too large.

SupraMaster

Pure Street Racing
Mar 24, 2008
Washington
www.facebook.com
MPR;1869988 said:
Glad to hear this since I just ordered that exact exhaust system and was a little worried about how it would sound. I can't argue with $240 shipped...lol.
Just a side note for the exhaust. When you get it, drill out the bolt holes on the manifold so you don't run into problems when you try and mount everything up. When I received mine the high-temp paint was nice, but it made the hole too small.

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
SupraMaster;1869973 said:

I actually plan to remove the rear muffler, one resonator should do the trick with 2 1/2" I would really like to split into a twin pipe design after the diff come straight out.

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
SupraMaster;1870177 said:
Just a side note for the exhaust. When you get it, drill out the bolt holes on the manifold so you don't run into problems when you try and mount everything up. When I received mine the high-temp paint was nice, but it made the hole too small.

Do you mean the flange that bolts the system to the cat?

ryansmith;1870188 said:
I actually plan to remove the rear muffler, one resonator should do the trick with 2 1/2" I would really like to split into a twin pipe design after the diff come straight out.

Judging by your build thread pictures you are running a turbo style muffler. They are very quiet, almost stock-like compared to most performance mufflers. So you may find that going straight piped with one resonator will be very loud... Probably too loud. lol

MPR

Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
SupraMaster;1870292 said:
No, I was talking about where it bolts to the head.

Oh, I just ordered the cat-back system, not the header as well. I will be using a 2.5" high flow cat to replace the stock cat. Will be going with an OBX header in the near future as well. But thanks for the tip. I've read that a lot of people have had to make small adjustments to make headers fit the 7m.