Need Advice Putting My 86.5 MKIII Back Together

lonewarriorr6344

Aug 15, 2011
San Leandro, CA
Hello Everyone,
I am currently trying to put my 86.5 MKIII back together. Here are my questions if anyone can help;
1. Why won't my 3.0 N/A hold idle?
2. Can I get an LED tail light set for this model?
3. Tail light trouble sensor light comes on when I hit the brakes (already switched sensors, still comes on)?
4. How do I replace rear hatch struts?
5. Can I make this model into a targa top model and how?
6. Will Proline 950 wheels fit this model?
7. Where can I get a MKIII widebody kit?
More questions to come as I get into this project. I'd appreicate any and all help from anyone who can help guide me. I can be contacted at: melvinmcculloughjr@yahoo.com. Thanks and LET'S KEEP THE SUPRA NAME ALIVE,
Melvin McCullough Jr
San Leandro, CA
86.5 N/A MKIII

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
To replace the rear hatch struts you have to take off all of the rear interior panels and the back seats, so you can get to the bolts under the sail panels that cover the rear quarter windows. It is a pain but is well worth it. I don't think that you can make it into a targa top if it wasn't one factory.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
1. Check the TSRM for troubleshooting tips
2. You can make one, but you won't find any at Vatozone.
3. See #1
4. Silver Mk3 answered this one pretty good.
5. With a hack saw and enough experience with body work, sure, but if you're asking, I wouldn't recommend it. MUCH cheaper/easier to merely get a 2nd shell that's already Targa roof equipped.
6. There is a REALLY good thread stickied at the top of this section you should read through. Simply giving us a wheel brand/model won't get you far, we'd need specs.
7. Shineautoproject.com, contact them. :)

lonewarriorr6344

Aug 15, 2011
San Leandro, CA
te72,
Thanks for the info, but as far as the wheels this is the only info that I have. Size: 7X16, Offset: 38, Spacing: 5X100. Will this info help you with my question? Where in the TSRM do I look to resolve questions 1 and 3? Also, if you have any other suggestions that I could use, Please let me know and get back to me. Currently, project is underway and should be road worthy soon. Again, thank you and I'll keep in touch on how the project is coming along,
lonewarriorr6344
86.5 MKIII, 3.0 N/A

lonewarriorr6344

Aug 15, 2011
San Leandro, CA
Thanks Moy. I like the way the Proline 950 wheels I looked at at Pepboys (in store and online). They look very close to what the Volk GTC's look like. I'm trying to stay with the 16" size (recently bought brand new Goodyear 225/50x16") wheels. What would you suggest?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If it were me, I'd go with at least an 8" width on those wheels. 7" isn't bad, but you're kinda limited to a 225 or skinnier tire. Offset is really close to stock (if not the same, been YEARS since I've had stock Mk3 wheels anywhere near me), so they'll be fine in that respect. If you're wanting to stick with the 7", you can get a lower offset and still be under the fenders just fine, and have better looking wheels. Check the stickied wheel thread on that for more info...

As for your electrical gremlins, find the TSRM (or if you already have one), start scouring the electrical section of the book. Should be a troubleshooting section in there... Dunno what page it is, been a long time since I've worked on a 7m of any sort too.

lonewarriorr6344

Aug 15, 2011
San Leandro, CA
Hey te72,
Put the "OLE" girl in the shop a couple of days ago. She's been tuned up, oil changed, and intake manifold changed. Sounds like she still has the torque and power, shop can't get the "white smoke" to clear up coming out of the tail pipe. Granted, she's been laid up for 5.5 years. Any thoughts on this? Right now, he's letting her run so that hopefully this problem will clear up. Also, have to replace the Cat (plus O2 sensor), but all of the online parts sites and catalogs won't sale theirs to CA or CA equipped vehicles. I don't want to be spending over $400.00 for this part. Can you help me here?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
White smoke usually means BHG. Compression test been done?

If the shop hasn't suggested that at least I find another shop.

lonewarriorr6344

Aug 15, 2011
San Leandro, CA
AJ,
What the shop has told me and that I saw was that it's oil. It really plumes when you give her fuel. As far as the shop, they were recommended to me from here and they have the car right now. They did suggest having the head done. Any suggestions on this here? I'm trying to keep my repair budget at a min and cost low. Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on my Cat situation?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
lonewarriorr6344;1750132 said:
AJ,
What the shop has told me and that I saw was that it's oil. It really plumes when you give her fuel. As far as the shop, they were recommended to me from here and they have the car right now. They did suggest having the head done. Any suggestions on this here? I'm trying to keep my repair budget at a min and cost low. Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on my Cat situation?

I'd suggest a different car if you're looking at a minimum budget and low cost... Seriously. Sell the Supra and get something like a Miata if budget is a serious concern. 90% of the fun (if not more fun depending on driving style) and about 10% of the cost/maintenance.