need a Mechanic on Northeast NJ

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
Looking for a Reputable mechanic in the northeast NJ area to diagnose my sons Supra.

A few years ago my son bought a heavily modified supra that he intended to add a few more mods to and use as his daily driver.
He did a few mods to the car but then had to leave the area for work and couldnt take the car with him.
The car sat for the last year and a half while he was in Tenn, it was started a few times but not driven on the road.

He will be moving back to NJ in a few months as I would really like to get the car fixed up for him before he gets back.
The car does idle fine and runs fairly smoothly but it stumbles under acceleration and does not have the power it should have given the modifications it has.

I am a decent motorcycle mechanic , and even did some mods on a supra I owned in the nineties but his car is heavily modified and I wouldnt know where to start to diagnose it.

So -- looking for either -- recommendations for a reputable mechanic who knows supras that I can take the car to who I can trust to give me an honest diagnosis of what is wrong and who can also tune the car once it is fixed.
OR -- someone who can guide me via emails and possibly phone calls to figure out what is wrong. ( I would be glad to pay a reasonable fee for the help).

The car is really nice and it would really be great to have it fixed before september when he gets home.

Car is a 1990 turbo with 56,000 miles.
originally auto but changed to manual.
it has

AFPR aeromotive
Denso 550cc
Lex AFM
Supra Sport Boss 550 turbo with SS lines
Q45 TB- sealed with BEECH TPS adapter
Ron R intake mani. Short runner with AC
Tial 50mm BOV
RT DownPipe
3 inch exhaust
Walbro fuel pump
Zeitronics wideband

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
So from reading the forums I figured there was a good possibility there is a boost or vacuum leak.

I made an adapter , removed the lexus afm from the coupler and put the adapter in its place.

Then I tried to add some pressurised air to the system through the adapter, hoping to find a boost leak.

Instead I found that on the passenger side valve cover there is a large air leak at the front of the cover -- where it is shaped like an upside down U.
Air was hissing out of there and I was unable to get the system to hold any pressure.

The strange thing is it does not appear that there has been oil leakng from that spot at all.
I will be replacing the valve cover gasket and then redo the test.

Any comments ? could a leak like I am describing cause any driveability issues ? Is the test I am attempting valid on this car ?

Any help welcome.

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
AFM is plugged in good.
Not sure what reading you are referring to on the wideband when it is stumbling.

It is happening while driving the car.

-- Thanks for the suggestion on checking the AFM -- I didnt know you could do that.

The car has the lexus afm -- is the test the same or is there a similar test for that one ?

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
Also -- can anyone let me know how I can test for boost leak on this car ?
I tried to put pressure into the turbo inlet piping by removing the AFM and putting an adapter in its place.

I found a leak at the front of the passenger side valve cover as described above but then I took that out of the equation I am not able to build any pressure in the system.

The car has a greddy catch can plumbed in with one of the hoses leading to an elbow right before the turbo inlet, so when I put pressure into the inlet I assume air flowed throught the catch can directly to the valve cover , showing that leak.
I removed that hose from the elbow before the turbo and capped it to try to find more leaks without having th eair leak out at the valve cover but I cant seem to get any pressure to build up.

Any suggestions on testing for boost leak ?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Are you getting any CEL (check engine light) codes?

Test results for the AFM should be the same cause your just testing the electronics.

Wideband reading should be displayed on a screen or gauge placed somewhere around the dashboard. It shows an AFR reading. When the car stumbles during acceleration do the numbers go up or down? What does it read at idle.

I'd remove and inspect all of the turbo hoses/couplers for any splits or cracks. Reinstall them and make sure they're on good and tight. Remove and inspect the accordian hose. That's the hose from the LEX AFM to the turbo inlet. Check that good for any defects. Reinstall.
Make sure the AFPR vacuum hose is connected to the boost reference port. BTW, what does that read with the vacuum hose disconnected?