Need a little help with my 2jz-gte vvti swap.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I have all my parts ordered and on the way and I got thinking,.....
My Aristo 2jzgte vvti didn't come with a Maf/Afm. I have been looking all over and have not found any thing on, "if one is needed for the swap or not"?

So my question is.. Do I need one?
If so where can I find one with the housing?

I haven't found any info on this in any tec, or build threads. I also notice people with them, and with out them on there MK3 2jz swaps.
Please any info, or direction would help.
Thanks.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I am also interested in this swap.

What I have read so far-
The VVTI did come with both a MAP and a MAF.
If you are going to use the aristo ECU, then yew you will need the MAF and the MAP.
Some people have suggested that a MAF from a 2jz-ge would work - but it needs to be in a 2.5" intake.

I would think you could find the 2jz-ge stuff in a local junk yard. The 2jz-gte VVTI stuff never made it to the USA.....

The MAF itself can be purchased at Driftmotion, or ebay.

Hopewfully someone with more knoledge can chime in.

Steve

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It all depends on what your going to run for an EMS. To run the stock ECU, you will most likely need a MAF sensor. (someone smarter than me will need to answer if you can run speed density on stock ecu but I doubt it).

If you run ProEfi, AEM etc, then you can run speed density with a MAP and you wont need a MAF.

Also, I have an aristo MAF that came with my motor if you end up needing it.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I'm going to stay with the stock ECU for now. Not looking to crank up he engine just yet.

So it looks like I'm gonna need both sensors.

(Mr Bojagles) I'll send you a PM about that MAF. Thanks.

Now the hunt begins for the other sensor.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
you may want to source your engine first - the sensors may or may not come as part of the engine.

What are you going to use as a housing for the MAF?

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I already have the engine. It just didn't come with those two sensors.

I'm looking for the stock housing for the MAF.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
That is what I was thinking as well - but how to find an JDM Aristo MAF housing that was never imported into the USA.......
Wondering if there is some kind of aftermarket solution?

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
This may or may not sound stupid, I have a lexus 400 maf from when I ran a 7MGTE engine. Would that happen to work?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
lol, nope.
I have been told that the 2jz ge VVTI maf will work if it is in the original housing. the 2jz ge housing I think it is 2.5 inches - nice bottleneck! I dont know that for sure, just repeating what I was told.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
The maf housing is actually part of the stock airbox on the aristo. When I got my engine it came with the airbox and maf. I will look around for the airbox but I'm 99% sure I tossed it because there is no practical use for it here. I'll PM you about the MAF if you just want that.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Mr Bojangles;1868215 said:
The maf housing is actually part of the stock airbox on the aristo. When I got my engine it came with the airbox and maf. I will look around for the airbox but I'm 99% sure I tossed it because there is no practical use for it here. I'll PM you about the MAF if you just want that.

I would like to get that maf from you. I don't really know what I could use besides that. If I'm running the stock ecu I don't think it will run with out it.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
steve_mk3;1868721 said:
wondering if others running the stock ecu have solutions for the MAF and the housing??

I've been looking and searching but have not came across any thing about it.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Mr Bojangles;1868711 said:
ok, I'll cut you a deal on that, do you need the MAP sensor too? I have one of those as well since I ditched all the stock stuff for ProEfi.

I've got a map sensor. Thanks thou. Just let me know what your thinking on that Maf.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I did find this-
http://www.2jzgarage.com/2012/02/2jzgte-vvti-information/

MAF intake.jpg
better pic
566x425-2012031200382.jpgMAF intake.jpg

"where do you get induction kit and maf hosuing from and top end pipe to turbos
ie pipe above maf

Reply ↓
2JZGARAGE Administrator
on June 14, 2012 at 9:44 am said:
I orignally got mine from perfectrun.jp – not sure if they still sell them. Was a HKS kit that came with the lot (Filter, MAF housing, All pipes)."

Now to see if there are any other aftermarket solutions that are in production!

Last edited:

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
steve_mk3;1868810 said:
I did find this-
http://www.2jzgarage.com/2012/02/2jzgte-vvti-information/

View attachment 60512
better pic
View attachment 60513View attachment 60512

"where do you get induction kit and maf hosuing from and top end pipe to turbos
ie pipe above maf

Reply ↓
2JZGARAGE Administrator
on June 14, 2012 at 9:44 am said:
I orignally got mine from perfectrun.jp – not sure if they still sell them. Was a HKS kit that came with the lot (Filter, MAF housing, All pipes)."

Now to see if there are any other aftermarket solutions that are in production!

Yeah that would be nice if I could find one or some thing like that for sale some where. I've been looking and still no luck.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I wounder if the 98 Supra Maf would work?

I seen that the ones online/ebay have there own housing, I'm just not sure if they are Twin Turbo VVTI or not, or if that would even work or not?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I hope someone chimes in on the 98 USDM supra MAF - That would be very convienient, plust it comes with the housing!

Mr Bojangles - Would you happen to know the diamiter of the aristo airbox MAF adapter/pipe?
You can find 2jz-gte MAF's - there just expensive - then you will need the housing. If I can find out the diamiter of the housing, maybe something like this would work-
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ke-system/_/N-25nb?itemIdentifier=939537_0_0_
or
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/view.phtml?f_cat=MAF+Flange+Adapters+

Last edited: