neccissary emissions components

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
i am building my 1988 supra turbo for a more track based application and i was wondering if anyone knows what, if any, of the emissions system components can be left out/removed?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
There is only one emissions based part you can remove that will not put the safety of your motor at risk unless you go full standalone engine management....the cat!

Your ecu has been tuned with emissions in mind and if equipment is removed you run the risk of detionation....in all honesty removing emissions equip is kinda dumb as it's only used at part throttle operation...aka cruising down the highway not in boost...once you give a certain percent of throttle the egr shuts off and is no longer operational....so now you know that removing the shit only does harm and gives you ZERO performance increase.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
gaboonviper85;1422842 said:
There is only one emissions based part you can remove that will not put the safety of your motor at risk unless you go full standalone engine management....the cat!

Your ecu has been tuned with emissions in mind and if equipment is removed you run the risk of detionation....in all honesty removing emissions equip is kinda dumb as it's only used at part throttle operation...aka cruising down the highway not in boost...once you give a certain percent of throttle the egr shuts off and is no longer operational....so now you know that removing the shit only does harm and gives you ZERO performance increase.

ok sorry i guess i need to specify a bit more of the details of my build. i plan to run a twin turbo 7mgte so naturally a stand-alone ECU would be neccissary. so i need to know what is needed for the engine to still run. i was just curious because there might be some clearance issues in the engine bay but if i could remove(relocate if removal is impossible) some components there wouldnt be an issue.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Well then you can get rid of the egr...but you'll need to keep the charcoal canister as it has two jobs...you can relocate it and use a smaller canister from a jdm car. But really there isn't much emissions "equipment" that takes up space! What you see is what you get.

supraman88MKIII

May 21, 2009
Del City
gaboonviper85;1423227 said:
Well then you can get rid of the egr...but you'll need to keep the charcoal canister as it has two jobs...you can relocate it and use a smaller canister from a jdm car. But really there isn't much emissions "equipment" that takes up space! What you see is what you get.

cool thanks