NA-T minus the swap?

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
ive looked all over this forum and i cant find any information about NA-T that doesnt require a swap. i know that the comp ratio's are different, and the transmission, but otherwise is there anydifference? will the stock internals take boost? just curious about my options, i really want to run boost, and just dont know where to go. so any comments and recomendations would be nice.

thanks, wilcox

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can but you need to tune it as with the higher compression it can detonate a lot easier. That and the hg could pop quick.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
does the 7mgte have the same hg problems as the 7mge? cause that would be a big reason as to why most people dont turbo there NA 7m's. also if your going to swap a turbo motor in, does the 7mgte require anything else besides a new ecu?

jarheal

Banned
Feb 26, 2012
florida, tampa
Well the 7mgte use a little diffrent things like, oil squirters, lower compresson, coil packs, and some other little things but there basically the same motor. Another thing Toyota did some things wrong when they made our supea but when they first came out they torque the head down 56 or 57 which post to be a bit higher around 74, but point is that if u havnt did a head gasket yet u gonna be doing one soon if its the original head gasket. If u putting a 7mgte in u would need afm, and stock pipes and intercooler but other than that everything else bolts rite up

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
im thinking 1jz swap, its more power stock than a 7mgte and i dont want to turbo my 7m because of all the differences and i would have to take the motor out to swap internals anyway so if my na 7m comes out a 1jz or 2jz goes in.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
You dont want to turbo your 7m because of the small differences between GE and GTE but you wanna throw in a completely different motor?

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
ya i mean if a motor is coming out in the first place might as well throw the best back in, and besides its almost more cost effective to go 1jz. i can get a 1jz for a bout 2300 with tranny and wiring harness and ecu, then all i need is piping and intercooler and misc stuff. i havnt done complete research on it right now cause i dont have the cash but when i do ill figure out the details. id be happy with 400 to 500 whp, and iether of these motors will do that!

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
ok 2300 for the motor, tranny, wiring harness, few more hundred for the mating of the the 1jz and 7m harness from Dr. Tweak, mounts, ur lookin around 3500 for the whole swap if u do it urself.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
ya like i said i havnt researched it completely yet. but to rebuild my 7m with new pistons rods and machine and balance work + turbo, exhaust manifold, and intercooler i would be close to 3500 anyway

SaltyMKIII

the dude abides
Mar 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Its a good idea to rebuild a engine you get from a importer. You no idea on the condition of the engine. Most likely the twin turbos will need ti be rebuilt. I mean if you wanna put a mystery engine in and boost it up and blow it... then thats gonna suck. Or you might get lucky. If your 7m is reliable its probably cheaper to turbo it.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
i haven't done the swap yet, need to save up some money first. but what are your ideas on water meth injection. if im going to give the motor a once over before putting it in i plan on bc cams and i want to do a water meth injection setup so down the line if i want to run more boost i can do it and i will run cooler.